Coyote hunting

aaronc702

hello. Newcomer to coyote hunting. i live in nevada. In las vegas. Could anyone give me any tips? i have a 30-06, and a foxpro inferno call. And also could someone point me in the right direction in terms of spots in southern nevada

I don't know much about desert coyote hunting in particular, but there is an amazing amount of public land that you can hunt on around Las Vegas. I know you can hunt on the BLM land and any National Forest land. There is alont of National Recreational Area land around the lake. I'd look at their website for hunting rules. They likely have huntig allowed but some areas will be off limits. Lots of military land too which will have its own rules and you may be able to hunt some of that land. You can see what is what on OnX.

Google desert coyote or desert predator hunting and you can learn about specific tactics or types of habitat. Wish I could help you there, but that's not in my wheelhouse.

Caller in front of you 30-50 yards or so. Keep the wind in your face. Have a buddy set up looking down wind.
Good luck

Everybody around here blows rabbit calls all winter long. Probably have tons of depressed rabbits where I live from it.
I’ve had great luck using some of the odd calls on my foxpro like the magpie and crow sounds. Might just be something coyotes don’t associate with people.

Whats the main forage base?

Where can you find the most of that?

If your in NV, especially this time of year, water is going to be a big part of the equation.

With high coyote prices the last several years, and the exponential growth of the foxpro army, coyotes have been getting pounded just about everywhere.

They can have extremely negative responses to predator calls. Like hauling ash over the next ridge at first squeak.

Try learning to hunt them spot and stalk, by glassing like you would for deer.

If you can get within their hearing range, without showing up on their radar, your chances of a good response goes up.

Use the terrain to get into position without being noticed.

The farther you get away from the truck the better your responses will be.

Network your way into a ride along with some accomplished callers.

My issue is a target rich enviornment.

Attachments

• WGI_0063_copy_1459x1094.jpg
    WGI_0063_copy_1459x1094.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 34
Better kill’en before the fall dispersal. Coyotes kick their young out in the early fall,makes for some great hound chases

Had an oops moment, Saturday...

Took my Stevens 200, rebarreled in 250 Savage to thin the population.
Set up behind a pine tree 200 yards uphill from the stream pictured.
Watched them come down the hill on the other side from about 600 yards.
(The stream crosses a gas line)
Kids were playing in the stream, mom came up on my side.
Shot mom, kids stood there looking around, confused.
Shot one of the kids (closest to cover).
The other 2 started running away.
Shot at & missed the 3rd.
After about 150 yards, as i was reloading, the 2 remaining, stopped & looked back.
Dropped the 3rd.
4th one took off & not seen again.
When i went to collect them, WOW, what a mess!
I found out once i got them back to the truck that i had accidentally grabbed the wrong ammo.
Instead of my 90gr Sierra BlitzKings, i had accidentally grabbed the 100gr Ballistic Tips.
Dead coyote is a dead coyote, but would have been nice not to have utterly destroyed the hides.

Great job,only good coyote is a dead one!
Coyotes are pretty amazing animals. While I’ve heard of wolves killing for fun, I’ve never heard of coyotes doing it. They do a good job of cleaning up after our kills, and they're fun as heck to hunt! I’m glad we have them.

I would get a smaller caliber 30-06 will get the job done with a big hole. This time of year i would do some howling or hurt pup sounds

Check out the youtube channel "hidden instinct" they are out of Utah I believe and they do tons of desert coyote hunting every winter. They are super laid back and don't do any fancy editing/music it's just pure predator hunting. They give a lot of tips and explanations of why they chose their spot and how their process goes.

Too bad one can't light 'em up in town. Durn things are everywhere you look. Get a guzzler book from NDOW, it'll narrow things down for you. Onx has them as well.

Coyotes are pretty amazing animals. While I’ve heard of wolves killing for fun, I’ve never heard of coyotes doing it. They do a good job of cleaning up after our kills, and they're fun as heck to hunt! I’m glad we have them.
We have the eastern version,they weigh in the 40-50 lb range and are devastating on our depleting deer herd in the winters. I agree they are amazing but they are also a killing machine

We have the eastern version,they weigh in the 40-50 lb range and are devastating on our depleting deer herd in the winters. I agree they are amazing but they are also a killing machine
I thought you guys had deer coming out of your ears in the east?? No?

According to PA Game Commission, yes.

Our elk are another story.
Ditto turkey, pheasants, rabbits, grouse.

Somehow Pa. DCNR manages to double dip and get DMAP tags for the forest. Like doubling the doe harvest opportunity. Usually good deer at the farms and private land but if you have to hunt public you will have a substantially harder time.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back