Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Coyote hunting

aaronc702

newcomer to coyote hunting. havent had much luck, anyone know of any good spots? I have a rifle, an electronic call and all but dont know where to go. I tried christmas tree pass in searchlight. No luck. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Sometimes it might take a few sets before you call one or more in at a time, bit it will happen. I like the simplistic nature of my SCEERY mouth call in coarse cottontail. It really works. I use a small bulb squeaker mouse call when they get close. 100 yards on in when conditions are calm and they come running. I like to sit and just look around for about 10 minutes before I start calling and my first sequence is not high volume in case I have dogs close to me. I'll do a series and then wait ten minutes or so and do another. Coyotes if they are close enough to hear and are wanting to come usually show up pretty fast, say 10-20 minutes. I have stayed on stand though and continued to call and had one come in after an hour at this particular set. She was coming, it was just slow. I have a mouth blown coyote howler that seems to work pretty good just to see if any coyotes are around. It really works about the middle to end of February when they start breeding. They don't like another coyote on their turf.

Keep doing it and it will happen.

Don't underestimate a coyote's intelligence. They may seem like a bunch of "dumb dogs" with some of the things they do but they are far from dumb. After being called and/or shot at a few times they become very wary. Learn about your quarry. Like other animals they need security, food and to breed. Knowing when coyotes are looking for those things will improve your odds.

Predator hunting can be a grind but it can be exhilarating too. Don't get discouraged during the periods that it becomes a grind. As @6mm Remington said, "Keep doing it and it will happen."

Another tip, is watch the wind. They like other animals will circle down wind.

I’m still learning, been at it two winters now. I’m getting to the point where I can pick good sets and have coyotes come in pretty often...feels like some kind of success I guess. I like to call sloughs, valleys, creek bottoms and shrubby hills- places with cover and food. Pick a spot you have decent visibility but a little cover to break up your silhouette.

The best advice I ever got is to pay attention to the story you are telling with your calling. If the sounds don’t make sense, they won’t come. Also, try something other than rabbit distress.

Coyotes have a sixth and possibly a seventh sense. I’ve had them trotting across a field and for no reason, stop and turn around. I had the wind, great cover and no movement.
Took me over 30 years to kill one with my bow. That’s a trophy I was proud of.
Winter time with snow is when we go after them. Spent some time walking, looking for tracks. Set up the next morning and call’em in.5D15A713-18EF-4077-9DFB-3DB0AC3EE888.jpeg

if your driving to searchlight then i assume your from Vegas. Drive two hours north to Alamo area. Lots of ranching in that area and lots of coyotes. I have found the further north you drive the more coyotes there are or maybe the less pressure there is so they are easier to call in. not that im an expert. i get lucky every now and again. good luck.

newcomer to coyote hunting. havent had much luck, anyone know of any good spots? I have a rifle, an electronic call and all but dont know where to go. I tried christmas tree pass in searchlight. No luck. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
I’m in the same boat, I go out toward mt potosi and never get any to call in. I get some and they are in my backyard!

Sometimes it might take a few sets before you call one or more in at a time, bit it will happen. I like the simplistic nature of my SCEERY mouth call in coarse cottontail. It really works. I use a small bulb squeaker mouse call when they get close. 100 yards on in when conditions are calm and they come running. I like to sit and just look around for about 10 minutes before I start calling and my first sequence is not high volume in case I have dogs close to me. I'll do a series and then wait ten minutes or so and do another. Coyotes if they are close enough to hear and are wanting to come usually show up pretty fast, say 10-20 minutes. I have stayed on stand though and continued to call and had one come in after an hour at this particular set. She was coming, it was just slow. I have a mouth blown coyote howler that seems to work pretty good just to see if any coyotes are around. It really works about the middle to end of February when they start breeding. They don't like another coyote on their turf.

Keep doing it and it will happen.
There's a lot of good info there. Especially waiting a bit after you get settled and start quiet.

The best advice I ever got is to pay attention to the story you are telling with your calling. If the sounds don’t make sense, they won’t come. Also, try something other than rabbit distress.
Yep, great advice right here. Create a story at every stand. I have called in and killed dozens of coyotes with completely off the wall distress sounds, it just has to peak their interest. BUT, it also depends what time of the year it is. You have to think, early in the year they are trying to breed so coyote vocals work great, later in the year they are trying to feed their pups and then get ready for winter so distress works great. I rarely use rabbit distress anymore because coyote hunting has been getting more and more popular over the years, and that is every new persons go to call which educates the coyotes and they wont even blink an eye at it. There are TONS of coyotes in NV but a lot of people hunt them there too so change it up. You will learn something new on every stand. The wind is key, proper placement of your e caller is important too. I highly recommend picking up some mouth calls and learn how to use them.

I'm a bit late to the discussion, as I'm fairly new to the forum, so a bit of a newbie, but I wanted to say that I completely agree with the guys talking about the calls. I just got a new device last month and it makes all the difference. I did a lot of research beforehand because having no experience at all made it a bit of a more complex quest for me, but there are a lot of great articles online about the best call for coyotes and they make it a lot easier for inexperienced people like me to see what the market has to offer. I've only tried it two times so far, but both of them were a huge success and I attribute that to the coyote call device for sure.

Last edited:
Tons of Coyotes around Caliente in the canyon area.

Back