Cost to cut and recrown barrel?

nrpate05

Hey all, it being the offseason, I have started to tinker with my rifles, which usually ends up costing me some coin...Anyway, I went my local gunsmith yesterday (whom I've never used before, he's just the closest) and he quoted me $200 to cut an crown a barrel. This seemed a bit steep, but I really don't know much about the procedure. Can anyone chime in on what may be a good price or what they have paid? Going to look into some other gunsmiths soon to compare, just want to get an idea. Thanks.

Last one I had done cost me $75, and this was from a benchrest gunsmith who has built some world record setting rifles.

This is far less than an hour of work. Unscrew barrel, chuck it in the lathe, recrown, torque it back on the action and confirm headspace.

$75 seems to be about the going rate. Maybe you've got other options within a short distance, but factor in shipping your barreled action both ways and you'll be in the $125 range.

Ok thanks, yea I figured his quote was a bit high. Does anyone have any gunsmith recommendations in the Northern Front Range of CO?

$200 for a crown job. Wow I wonder what he charges for a chamber job!😃
A good crown job should cost about $75-$100.
What rifle and how much are you chopping off?
Kevin Weaver isn’t in the Front but he is a extremely good gunsmith. He is in Peyton.

Wrap a piece of masking tape round it so you can keep the cut straight, hacksaw it, file it, emery cloth it, blue it and chuck up a round headed brass screw in your battery powered drill put a little valve grinding compound on it and have at it. Don't forget to clean it real good when you are done. Nothing like learning to bubba things. Very cheap. Gives you a sense of accomplishment. Is there a reason you wish to cut the barrel?

Start here if you are handy. If it goes bad then you pay the gunsmith and tell him your brother-in-law did it. .

I've rented these before an it's come out great.

Look up the you tube of the guys cutting the barrel at various angles and shooting the same shells. It might surprise you. By all means support your local gunsmith. I should have prefaced my post with "if you like DIY, try this" My bad. The rifles(mine) that i have done it on seem to shoot pretty good.

If the rifling is damaged one could just counter bore the muzzle end an eighth of an inch or so.

Awesome, thanks for all the responses. Thought about giving it a go myself, but don't want to bugger it up. Got another quote for $80.00 from a different gunsmith. Funny how it can differ so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back