Caribou Gear Tarp

Coon

In my early 20’s in college I lived in a trailer park, big fat one like that used to get in the trash, one day my wife (girlfriend then) was taking out the trash and it hissed at her, I had a old fingerhut bear bow my grandma had bought me with some aluminum shafts and some like 300 gr broadheads I found on the Walmart clearance rack. Anyhow I go outside at full draw and it’s on top of the trash, started to hiss right as I released, arrow went right thru it’s mouth lifted it off the top of the trash can and half out it’s butthole sticking it to a pine tree behind the trash can. I was scared as crap I’d get rabies if I touched it so the next day I got my uncle who used to be a trapper and he skinned it out, said in 20 years it was the biggest he had seen. The one in your photo looks a bit bigger.

He is a nice one. If they have access to grain (creap feeders) they can get 40 lbs. We have treed two in eastern Montana that were huge. Usually the body portion to head size tells how big a coon is.

Looks like a big to me. almost looks like a small grizzly with the way he is walking and the hump in his back.

My dad was a coon hunter, killed several thousand when he was younger. Never weighed any of them, would have been interesting to know about some of the bigger ones.

While I do think that is a good sized one, I think the body position is making it look bigger than it is. His front shoulders are up and his head is down making it look thicker than if it was walking normally. I've trapped one 20 pounder and planned on having one that big mounted but it only had half a tail and the nape was rubbed. If memory serves correct, I think the largest one ever weighed was 53 pounds.

My walker hound tree one along Chugwater Creek last year that was a very obese coon, it couldn’t really run and treed in a small willow that couldn’t support it. The walker is silent on track and she was on the coon before he knew what was happening. I think it was hitting grain feeders or pet food at nearby ranch. The second large coon they bayed was near Baker Montana near some dry land corn fields and I got to watch them run it with aid of a spot light, and it looked like a bear running. It was covering ground quickly and went for over a half mile before the hounds got it holed up. A jumbo coon (28-32 inches) in the Ozarks as a kid would only weight 15-18 lbs.

53#!!!! Holy Crap!!!! That’s huge!!!!!
I know I’m a bit different n raised by a bit different than most, but coon is damn good eating!!! Especially around farm land. If u would eat a bear or wild hog, ain’t different

Back