Considering investing in a pair of gaiters, are they worth it?

I've used and wore out most. Best pair I had was made by OR out of Schoeller streach fabric. Kuiu's Yukon is my favorite now, similar to that old OR material.

I've used and wore out most. Best pair I had was made by OR out of Schoeller streach fabric. Kuiu's Yukon is my favorite now, similar to that old OR material.
Are they quiet? I lost my OR crocs and had to use my hella old school nylon shell ones from the 80s, and damn was I noisy this weekend. Apparently I'm prone to narrow stepping.

Are they quiet? I lost my OR crocs and had to use my hella old school nylon shell ones from the 80s, and damn was I noisy this weekend. Apparently I'm prone to narrow stepping.
quieter/softer than the OR crocs. Maybe not as durable, but close.

September archery hunt: most likely leaving them at home.
October w/ ANY chance of snow: triple checking to make sure they're packed.
I like OR. Have had the helium and crocs. Usually take the helium.
This year, we called our week in Wyoming "Gaiter Appreciation Week", for very good reason. Would have been miserable without them.
IMG-1561.jpg

I would highly recommend the Kuiu gaiters best I have ever owned. They are quite and I put a pile of miles on them in the last 4 years and still wearing them.

Had a pair of OR crocs for a long time! Finally wore some holes through them with too much snowmobiling. When I buy again it will be the stone glacier or kuiu’s

Yes, they are worth it. But if you’re looking at the Kenetrek gaiters be aware they are made for guys with huge calves. I ordered mine per their sizing chart (based on boot size 12) and can’t get them to truly snug down on my dainty lady calves.

My buddy’s first lite gaiters weren’t a problem though.

If you do want to get some Kenetrek’s though, let me know. I’ll sell mine to you at a healthy discount.
I was about to ask. I can't find gaiters that fit my calves. I'm a bigger dude, so the gaiters I've tried have never fit. Mind you, been amazon purchases....

Yes, they are worth it. But if you’re looking at the Kenetrek gaiters be aware they are made for guys with huge calves. I ordered mine per their sizing chart (based on boot size 12) and can’t get them to truly snug down on my dainty lady calves.

If you do want to get some Kenetrek’s though, let me know. I’ll sell mine to you at a healthy discount.
Unfortunately my calves are not very big either and with boots at 10.5 I’m afraid if they won’t snug down for you they might be worse on me. I am about 5’ 10” & 175lbs, I am guessing you with size 12’s you might be a bit bigger than I am?

I have used kenetreks, however my biggest complaint about gaiters are that when the weather is a bit warm the strap that goes around the bottom of the boot tends to make a snow/mud ball making life a pain, and also the increased sweating of the lower leg. The people at firstlite had a soft-shell bib that had built in gaiters that didn't have the strap around the boot bottom. This outfit was excellent for late season hunts, and the built in gaiter kept the snow out of my boots and surprisingly even kept the water out when doing stream crossings and even taking the easy way out by fallowing a running stream out of the hills after a successful lion hunt.

Unfortunately my calves are not very big either and with boots at 10.5 I’m afraid if they won’t snug down for you they might be worse on me. I am about 5’ 10” & 175lbs, I am guessing you with size 12’s you might be a bit bigger than I am?
Yup, but not by much. I’m about 6’2” and 205, so not exactly a hulking beast.

Got the first lite bramblers and love them when needed. Side perk they help keep your legs and feet warm. I also run the FL traverse early season with a trail runner shoe. They work great to keep the crap out of your shoes.

I’m sure gators have their place but I was surprised at how many of you use them. I can’t stand wearing the dang things.

He's right... that's why I wear Kennetrek gaiters. My Kuiu gaiters sit in my closet awaiting someone with pencil-thin calves.

Yes worth every cent. I use kuiu Yukon and kuiu kutana. Both work well so never tried another brand.

Side note: I'm 5'11 160lbs and skinnier calves can not be found on a healthy person anyways. And my kuius stay up no problem.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back