Complete pronghorn rookie headed to SD

Ben Nicholson

Never hunted Antelope, never been to South Dakota... but I'm going to go there the last week of September to try bowhunting them. Due to some scheduling issues I can't get an elk hunt in this year, so I'm going to give something new a shot. I have a couple double bull blinds I'll take, though the thought of spot and stalk is more appealing. Should I get a decoy(s), if so, what kind? Is calling an option? Any advice from you veterans would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

I prefer spot and stalk. It's a ton of fun but be prepared to be as frustrated as you have ever been. Good luck!

I shot one over water once. If you're used to stand-hunting whitetails, it's not bad - especially if you're in a spot where you can see game off in the distance. I watched the buck I killed for about 3 hours with a harem of does. Other bucks would try to come in and cut does out and he'd run them out of the country. They'd bed for a while and then get up and feed. Just generally doing pronghorn things.

Antelope are curious critters. They are also very territorial and if you find a buck with a bad attitude he will run right in to your decoy to chase off what he thinks is another buck. If you are in cattle country Montana Decoys has a cow blind that you can use to walk up to the antelope with, they might even come over to investigate the new cow in the area. I like to be mobile so setting in a ground blind limits me too much, plus it turns into a oven after setting in the sun for awhile.

Whereabouts are you thinking about going? If you get to the Northwest corner of the state give me a shout.

Get a montana small buck decoy and spot and stalk. I would take one blind just in case.

Sitting in an antelope blind is as hot and boring as can be. Spot and stalk.
I would have agreed with this prior to having had 300 or so antelope come in each day, including some enourmous bucks. The right time and right place results in great fun in a blind.

I would definitely bring a blind, just in case you find a nice water source they are hitting... Hiding next to a fence crossing that time of year can be good too. As mentioned above, sitting in a blind can get super hot, I normally bring some shorts and a tshirt - I normally don't bother with camo if I'm just hunting goats in a blind... If you aren't seeing decent numbers of goats - just keep moving.... If I was going to buy a new decoy, I'd give serious consideration to the heads up decoy w/ the mount - for the cost of not much more than a full tank of gas in your truck - it's worth having...

https://headsupdecoy.com/products/antelope-buck-decoy-ap300

Thanks guys! I'll pick up a decoy, and I'll bring the blinds too. I figure I'll sent them up early, try some spot and stalk, and if I don't have any luck with that I'll sit the last couple days.

Dakota79, I'll send you a pm.

Thanks,
Ben

Personally Nay. I have been walking around prairie dog towns in South Dakota for years without gaiters. I would see rattlers occasionally but they would make themselves know if you came to close. Just be smart and watch where you step if you can. They won't protect you if your doing a belly crawl up on the booner goat!

Oh and watch out for cactus! They can be anywhere. I was stalking a mule deer in SD in a wash out and put my hand out against the bank and then spent the next 20 minutes picking cactus needles out of my hand.

Thanks kids! I'll skip the gaiters but will bring knee pads and leather gloves... and tweezers.

Back