Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Compare and contrast GPS Map chip options

2rocky

Now I know OnX Maps(formerly Huntinggpsmaps) is a sponsor of the site and show, but I was wondering if folks could compare their products (regional and State) to other GPS chips out there.

I use the TOPO by DeLorme program on my desktop computer for remote scouting I'd like to see if one GPS chip is more compatible with that program than another.

I own a Hunting GPS map chip for CA and I am familiar with its features. I have not become proficient at transferring data to my computer for further analysis.

Now I see the DIY hunting maps offers a chip for regions of Western Wyoming at a lower cost for a smaller area. I've used their paper maps with good results as well.

I have the Garmin chip for Wyoming and I am well aware of its shortcomings regarding land ownership designations and lack of shaded relief. It is at the bottom of my list.

Your thoughts and comments?

If you don't mind pc scouting with somewhat crappy looking vector based maps, the onx sd card and basecamp is pretty straight forward and gives you the ability to transfer most any info that you would want on the gps. It's really a decent way to go for most people. What you see in basecamp is what you'll see on the gps.
Another alternative is to use Google earth, add a topo server, land ownership server, and the onx GE map.
If you internet/pc scout and want the "best looking" and most content available with transfer ability a little more cumbersome, use ArcGis Explorer and/or TopoFusion.
If you want the best looking data, and most info on the gps itself, you need to hack the bios of the handheld. Getting that better data, (raster topo maps and sat imagery) to the handheld is not real hard but takes some time.

In the end, it all depends on what info you want, where you want it, and your level of pc competence.

Last edited:
The Delorme topo na 10 has public ownership data that is transferrable to handheld. Its not as nice as the on x stuff visually and it only shows the overall NF boundaries not actual ownership, blm and state are shown correctly iirc. The plus is that $100 gets you all 50 states.

For my hunting I prefer using data that includes walk in hunting areas which is available from some states game and fish departments as a download or app for your GPS or Phone. In many states the walk in land is some of the best available and is more prominent in the areas I typically hunt than regular BLM, USFS, state, etc.. public land. I have used downloads from South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas department of wildlife with success. It's amazing how much information is available when you do a search.

I am unclear if the newer onx maps includes walk in hunting areas but I know the older chips that I have do not. On another thread I asked the guy from on x maps who posts here but never did get a response.

Hello everyone, great feedback! There is a small difference between our HUNT Regional Maps and our HUNT Premium Maps. With the HUNT Regional you do get multiple states but there are not land owner names and parcel boundaries. You will also get 24K topography as well as BLM, State, USFS, USFW, Nation Park Service etc. We do have the walk in areas for states that provide it. http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/store/gps-maps

There is a free download from Garmin.com called Garmin Basecamp. It is like looking at your GPS but on your computer. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435 It is an amazing tool that can help you scout and also store your waypoints. Our chip comes with an adapter for your computer or you can keep it in your GPS and plug it into your computer.

A new product we have out is our HUNT App. We are currently covering the states we have as chips and are starting to add more everyday! We do have a 7 day trial for our HUNT App.

We are adding more information everyday to our products, we here at onXmaps are hunters and know what a hunter needs to be successful.

I am still unclear what states you have Walk in hunting areas for. Can you tell us what states do have the walk in hunting land listed?

Several years ago I purchased the Nebraska chip from you. It looks like you now group Nebraska with KS, OK, MO, and IA. If I send my Nebraska chip in for an update will those other states be added?

Maps

I am still unclear what states you have Walk in hunting areas for. Can you tell us what states do have the walk in hunting land listed?

Michigan has HAP lands
Nebraska has Public Access lands - HUNT GREAT PLAINS
Kansas has Walk-in Areas - HUNT GREAT PLAINS
Texas Public Hunting Lands, Colorado, Idaho (AccessYes Properties) Minnesota, Montana (BMAs – Block Management Areas) North Dakota (PLOTs – Private Land Open to Sportsmen) Utah (both WIAs and CWMUs – Cooperative Wildlife Management Units)

Several years ago I purchased the Nebraska chip from you. It looks like you now group Nebraska with KS, OK, MO, and IA. If I send my Nebraska chip in for an update will those other states be added?

If you send in the Nebraska we would update you to HUNT Pains.

RoadHunter,

Here are the states with current Walk in Areas, it is called something different in many states depending on what they call it. We will be adding as many more states as we can get data for.

Michigan has HAP lands
Nebraska has Public Access lands - HUNT GREAT PLAINS
Kansas has Walk-in Areas - HUNT GREAT PLAINS
Texas Public Hunting Lands
Colorado
Idaho (AccessYes Properties)
Minnesota
Montana (BMAs – Block Management Areas)
North Dakota (PLOTs – Private Land Open to Sportsmen)
Utah (both WIAs and CWMUs – Cooperative Wildlife Management Units)

Thanks for the info. I'll be sending my old Nebraska chip in for an update to Great Plains.

I look forward to seeing Wyoming and South Dakota added to that list of states that you have the walk in areas shown.

Sent my chip in a couple of weeks ago for an update. Got an e-mail last week that my chip was sent to an old address where I have not lived in 3 years. I filled out the paperwork with all my new contact info when I sent the chip in for an update. Really frustrated that my chip is now lost in limbo because somebody didn't update the address. Curious to see how this is handled by the company. I have contacted them but no response as of yet.

Got a response via Hunt talk faster than through the company. They are sending a replacement chip to the correct address. Matt handled the situation quickly and to my satisfaction. Couldn't ask for more.

I'll post my experience with the new plains chip once I use it a few times. Looking forward to having all the WIHA info on the map now that it's updated. Just in time for myself and another HT member to give it a try in Kansas in a few weeks.

I received the replacement chip and have looked at the WIHA in NE and KS. Really slick having them shown on your GPS. Instead of a solid color there are dotted lines on the walk in areas. Makes the product even better IMO. Also saw that they have added WIHA to the Wyoming chips as well.

Back