Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado wolf video

Bigjay73

Not a fan of forced reintroduction into our state, but seeing the natural migration into parts of colorado is pretty cool. Hope to hear some howling at some in my life.

The more wolves migrate to CO naturally, the less CPW has to do to comply w the latest state law passed by voters.

The more wolves migrate to CO naturally, the less CPW has might have to do to comply w the latest state law passed by voters.
Is the correction above more factual? Not trolling, honestly curious.

I don't recall the bill/law itself stating that discretely, just that from your ample research and participation in the working session that it could have an influence?

Is the correction above more factual? Not trolling, honestly curious.

I don't recall the bill/law itself stating that discretely, just that from your ample research and participation in the working session that it could have an influence?
My understanding is that there is a minimum # of long-term viable wolf packs (2 or 3) that equals compliance w the law's language. Natural immigrants count toward that total, as explained to me in the last Roundtable meeting. Cedahm, your language is at least as accurate as mine, thanks for the edit.

i did this about a year and half ago. I went online and found a recent map of Wyoming showing all the locations of Chronic Wasting disease, then i got another map showing all the major locations of wolves in Wyoming. They were nearly complete opposites. Where the wolves were, the Chronic wasting disease wasn't to about the 95% level.

Colorado with no wolves, or just a few now, is considered by biolgists to have CWD over the entire state.

When I lived in Wyoming 30 years, there was no CWD around SE Wyoming, now CWD is 43% for deer there, no wolves

Complete opposite, Mustang.

NW MT most dense population of wolves for our Rocky Mountain Range... meh, Maybe aside from a single 27 wolf pack from our National Amusement Zoo... aka YNP. Outside our paid zoos that take humans as aliens to the ecological makeup of "life", NW MT is the most dense / populated.

CWD was noted then flushed/surged intensely into our area.

the natural migration into parts of colorado is pretty cool.
It is great. I appreciate wolves in our ecosystem and it is cool hearing them outside hunt season (haha!)
The challenge Colorado faces is even more ridiculous than Montana. Montana uses POM to get an idea of wolf counts.
There is absolutely zero regard for the "quotas" / concentrated MT State assist for culling of apex predators- i.e. resource of biological science for prey v ungulate... it's, let's say we have a # and present it based on various factors (including the surveyed Q for harvests "Did you see/hear and wolves / wolf sign?")

Now take mass city dwellers who've flooded Colorado over the past 20 or so years... ears bent towards cute wolf puppy slogans and feeding eco-extremists $$$ coffers. I'd fear you're in worse shape for any imaginable accurate counts = enter political football with the voting block sucking down kool-aid. Political football with Vegas odds against accurate and regulated wolf counts.

Montana has the flooding. Forced re-introduction should never occurred in Colorado.
As Newberg said in his podcast related to forced reintroduction that presents a direct harm to an actual ESA red wolf...

"hm-huh, Well, I almost want to go to Colorado and start saying, 'Hey! Someone read this because you guys are headed down a path here' --- I feel like they're in the Titanic and that everyone knows the iceberg's there..."

It is great. I appreciate wolves in our ecosystem and it is cool hearing them outside hunt season (haha!)
The challenge Colorado faces is even more ridiculous than Montana. Montana uses POM to get an idea of wolf counts.
There is absolutely zero regard for the "quotas" / concentrated MT State assist for culling of apex predators- i.e. resource of biological science for prey v ungulate... it's, let's say we have a # and present it based on various factors (including the surveyed Q for harvests "Did you see/hear and wolves / wolf sign?")

Now take mass city dwellers who've flooded Colorado over the past 20 or so years... ears bent towards cute wolf puppy slogans and feeding eco-extremists $$$ coffers. I'd fear you're in worse shape for any imaginable accurate counts = enter political football with the voting block sucking down kool-aid. Political football with Vegas odds against accurate and regulated wolf counts.

Montana has the flooding. Forced re-introduction should never occurred in Colorado.
As Newberg said in his podcast related to forced reintroduction that presents a direct harm to an actual ESA red wolf...

"hm-huh, Well, I almost want to go to Colorado and start saying, 'Hey! Someone read this because you guys are headed down a path here' --- I feel like they're in the Titanic and that everyone knows the iceberg's there..."
The range of the red wolf never came close to Colorado.

Great post sir

Earlier today I contributed to the post about ticks and Lymes Disease. Like the prions that cause Chronic wasting disease, the causative agent for Lymes Disease has been around forever. Tens of thousabds of years.

"Otsi" is the Iceman, the frozen mummy found in the Italian Alps had Lymes disease.

Science moves slow but steady. Lymes started in Connecticut. Was always there but a set of factors released it and caused it to spread big time.

Yale mediccsl school in Connecticut did some of best, maybe even the best research on the origin of lymes and they expnded the study to include CWD prions.

Always there is a set of factors that causes a disease to spread. With these diseases, one factor remains constant, a lack of predators, of all all sizes. From wolves down to weasels.

In Belgium one study showed that stopping the hunting and trapping of small predators dramatically reduced the number of people who got Lymes. The Lymes disease is also carried by mice and shrews which get abundant when weasels and foxes are killed.

Some years ago I was at a Rodeo. A bunch of young cowboys were sitting on the back of a pick up saying the kind of things I said over 50 years ago when I was sitting on the back of a pickup.

I went over and said hello. We all wore only Wrangler jeans (PRCA) approved and had on big hats.

At one point one fellow said he would like to kill every wolf in the west. The others nodded in approval.

I bursted out that I could have them all nuetral about wolves in 3 minutes. They laughed. I suggested we make a bet about who would buy the beer.

They agreed. They all had cells phones. I opened my file on mine regarding wolves and CWD. I had them save my websites.

I took them through, CWD, Mad Cow Disease, caused by prions very simiiar to CWD, Cretzfelt Jabcobson Diseasem also caused by similar prions, I talkd about prions jumping species. Some hunters who had recently died of a prion mysterious prion disease, what happened to the british meat industry with MAD cow then talked about the roles of predators slowing or stopping CWD, which is otherwise unstoppable, just spreads and gets worse. I also mentioned how millions of hunters were eating meat every year with CWD prions. Prion diseases have incubation peiods that are years even decades

At 2 minutes and 45 secinds they all, except one fellow stopped me, and bought the beer.

At some point I did let them know I was a biologist

NW MT most dense population of wolves for our Rocky Mountain Range... meh, Maybe aside from a single 27 wolf pack from our National Amusement Zoo... aka YNP. Outside our paid zoos that take humans as aliens to the ecological makeup of "life", NW MT is the most dense / populated.

CWD was noted then flushed/surged intensely into

I think Sytes meant Mexican Wolf.

Interesting article in that the pack in NW Colorado seems to have disappeared. I had not read about that.
I looked up the issue on about a half dozen sites. All but one excluded Colorado as having the Mexican wolf. One map included the very SW tip of Colorado possibly and no more. The Canadian Gray wolf always has been the wolf of Colorado

CWD was noted then flushed/surged intensely into our area.

I just compared maps of CWD location and Wolf poulations for Montana. Here is the CWD map. There are two hot spots for CWD in the Western mountainous parts of Montana, just two. Almost the entire however, all of western montana is wolf country barring ine empty spot in the southern area

If you look at the Montana map of CWD it gets real heavy along the border with Canada, where there are no wolve or very very few.

And actually if you compare the maps closely, the SW hot spot for CWD in Montana shows up as that empty spot for wolves. That would be pushing my point, but itis worthy of note.

On another note, your post above is sarcastic, is written in broken, incomplete sentences and you offer no citations or reference. It is simply an angry rant of no scientific or even offering serious convserational value.

I was not looking for a debate about Mexican and Gray Wolf historical ranges, overlap, interbreeding, etc.; simply pointing out that no one was talking about the Red Wolf which is found in the eastern part of the country.

Happy Friday

i did this about a year and half ago. I went online and found a recent map of Wyoming showing all the locations of Chronic Wasting disease, then i got another map showing all the major locations of wolves in Wyoming. They were nearly complete opposites. Where the wolves were, the Chronic wasting disease wasn't to about the 95% level.

Colorado with no wolves, or just a few now, is considered by biolgists to have CWD over the entire state.

When I lived in Wyoming 30 years, there was no CWD around SE Wyoming, now CWD is 43% for deer there, no wolves
We have wolves in SE Wyoming.

As Newberg said in his podcast related to forced reintroduction that presents a direct harm to an actual ESA red mexican grey wolf...

Corrected. Thanks Marksjeep. Was reading about N. Carolina's ESA red wolf the other day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back