MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

colorado Unit/GMU 14

dmaggio93

Hey Yall,

Im new to elk hunting. Big whitetail hunter out East and big backpacker and hiker. Looking to do some hunting next year during october in the steamboat springs/clark area. was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks. (not looking for your honey Hole). I have some ideas but want to get some input from people that know the area. I plan on getting there a couple days earlier to scout but thats all the time i would have.

Welcome to HT. I would suggest using the search feature, I think you'll find good info through that.

Hunted there last year the last week of September. We talked to a lot of hunters that did not see anything or hear a single bugle. We hunted a little ways off of the road in areas where there were no trails and had a different experience. We were not covered up in them, but we heard bugles almost every night and had a few amazing encounters. If we were not dumb rookies we would of had a bull. My best advice is go somewhere really nasty that will make you question your sanity every step of the way and have your butt somewhere high with a good view at first light ready to glass. Same thing before dark and I mean dark. Not its getting dark and I want to see on my walk out kind of dark. Like can't see my hand in front of my face kind of dark, they make flashlights for a reason. They get a lot of pressure and based on my experience you won't find them in the open except at very first and last light. If you are going in October you may not hear much in the way of bugling past first rifle, but it is a good idea to have a cow call with you. If nothing else you could use it to stop a moving animal, much like a grunt or doe bleat with whitetail. Take all this with a grain of salt though considering these are just my experiences from encountering them while mule deer hunting in another unit in 2018 and archery 2019. You will learn more by just going and paying attention than you will ever learn from forums and videos.

This you?

Was there for early rifle deer a couple years ago. All major trails will be inundated with archery hunters and non-hunting recreationists. The whole place is being loved to death. Sad really.

Hey sorry to piggy back on someone else's post but you have to have a certain amount of activity before posting a new thread.
New to Colorado and will be hunting Elk in 2nd Rifle season in 2020 in GMU 14. I would love some honey holes......but seeing as how no one is going to give that up can anyone at least tell me if Pearl Lake State Park camping fills up and if so when? Also, if that is filled is there another campground in the area that can be used to hunt in and around the same area? Was thinking of just boondocking but if a campsite is available I will do that. Thanks in advance

We hunted 2nd rifle last year in 14. Got about 3 feet of snow. It was difficult moving around.

Saw 1 nice shooter elk at about 300 yards but could not get a shot. He spotted me and walked off, probable laughing.

Would like to go again next month. But all my buddies have dropped out this year. May go alone.

Hunted 14 for a week this archery season. The blowdown is horrible. Also the Middle Fork fire has most of the wilderness shut down indefinitely. Check it out before you go.

Great info. Thanks. I do have another spot in 18 that we have hunted in the past.

Did you see anything?

I had much different experience in 14 for early archery. We found elk close to the road, off main hiking trails. Even pulled a bugle with grunts out of some drainages across from the more serious part of the blowdowns. We were into sign and even passed a couple other hunters packing some out. But we stayed super mobile and didn't commit to any one trailhead or unit.

Back