Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado unit 74

Bascott1

Looking at unit 74 archery deer hunt, been researching it and looks pretty good via onx maps and all that. Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the area. Is there a good chance of getting on deer? Looking at backpacking for 1 to 2 nights at a time and coming back out. I'll be hunting the day season opens and have 3 weeks to hunt. Gonna grab an elk tag as well, gonna be elk hunting a unit close by the end of september so I'll have that otc tag as well.

I'm not sure where you live but if you're traveling from out of state, then I'd just skip the opening weekend, if time is a factor at all for you. I've hunted deer in the area but not in that specific GMU. There are plenty of good deer in Colorado. Put your time in the rough terrain, you will find deer.

Yeah, im traveling from out of state. Time doesnt really matter much, the wife will be in durango working from laptop and i'll be hunting up until about the 14th of sept when we leave for unit 70 elk hunt with some friends. Thats what im planning on doing, hit above timberline areas and hopefully glass up a buck.

IMO, You're better off arriving several days before the season opens so that you can find where several deer live, and be in position on one as early as possible opening day.

Thats probably whats gonna wind up happening. Will prob be there 4 to 5 days before opener. Gonna narrow down a few spots and hopefully find em, put em to bed the evening before and hopefully be on one opening morning.

See you there, I just put my app in, should draw with one point. I will be arriving 4 days before the season and hunting the first week. Driving out from PA. It has been 15 years since I have been in the area and will admit I got a bit overwhelmed picking a unit and just decided to pick one and go. I am going to be prepared to pack in or truck camp and stay mobile because I am not sure which will be the best. Hopefully those days scouting will tell me. From what I hear there should be buck there to find but might have to work hard for them. Good luck, we should be in touch after the season and see how it went for two newbies to the unit.

Back