Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado Unit 65 Cows

WilliamWS

Hi All,
I'm new here and new to Elk (though not to hunting). I've been invited to go along on CO elk hunts with some friends the previous 3 years but but haven't been able to make it work with my schedule. This year I was able to work it out but no one else could. Rather than put it off another year I've decided to go it alone. I'm going to try for a cow in Unit 65 in the Second Rifle season. I figure that, being my first elk hunt, finding a cow will be a bit easier (5:1 cow:bull in that unit) plus the lack of antlers is one less logistical issue to deal with when heading back to New York.

I've been doing some e-scouting and have been looking at a few drainages east of Cow Creek, south of Red Creek north of Oben Creek as potentially my potential primary area to focus on, though I've also been checking out a couple of other areas.
For anyone who has hunted this unit, does that sound like a reasonable place to start?
Any advice on hunting this unit would be very much appreciated.

I'm planning to go pretty lightweight, hike in and camp, probably 4 days hunting. I'd like to go deep but I'm likely going to be packing out alone if I'm successful and it looks like this unit can be pretty rugged so I'll probably limit myself to 4-5 miles from the truck. I say "likely" because a friend who lives in Durango and hikes/camps in the area quite a bit will probably be with me the first two days (though not hunting).

I know I'm going to hear "get in shape." To address that: I'm 40 run 7-8 miles a few times per week, do a couple hundred pull-ups a couple times a week, plenty of pushups and a few other exercises so I'm in pretty good shape all the time. I am now adding morning hikes/hills with a weighted pack and a little additional core work to the normal routine. I can't simulate altitude but, in the past when visiting a friend in Aspen my sea level 7-8 mile runs turned into more like 6-6.5 miles with the similar effort and pace and no sickness at altitude...so I'm hoping the transition won't be too harsh.

Thanks,
William

Wish I could help man but I've never been there. Welcome to the forum, you'll like it around here. It sounds like you're thinking and planning the same vein as most of the guys here. I would recommend buying OnX for Colorado and starting to research the area there for more information. Also, check out the search function or even use google to search "Colorado unit 65 hunttalk".

Thanks, yep-been spending a fair amount of time on OnX and Google Earth lately.
I've done some searches for Unit 65 and tried to get what info I can from there. Most threads seem to be more about bulls.
It's my impression that, opposed to the bulls, the cows will still be more grouped up and prioritizing food more so than the "sanctuary" the bulls will be after around this time. Is that a fairly safe assumption?

Thanks, yep-been spending a fair amount of time on OnX and Google Earth lately.
I've done some searches for Unit 65 and tried to get what info I can from there. Most threads seem to be more about bulls.
It's my impression that, opposed to the bulls, the cows will still be more grouped up and prioritizing food more so than the "sanctuary" the bulls will be after around this time. Is that a fairly safe assumption?

Randy recently did a podcast that might help

Public ground in 65 between ridgway and ouray can be pretty rough. There are a few outfitters around the cow creek area. If you have never been there I would highly suggest get there a day or so before season to get a good feel of the area.

Yeah, that's what I've heard and what it looks like on the maps. I'm not going to have as much time off as I'd really like but I plan to fly into Albuquerque late Thurs, stay with a friend in Durango that night, then get out to the area I'll be hunting on Friday (day before open). It looks like I'll likely have a friend with me for a couple of days who's familiar with the area.

Why don't you fly into Montrose? Albuquerque is a hump to unit 65. I'll be in there 3rd rifle this year, unless I'm fast enough on a leftover😬

65 has alot of private, but it can be done.

Have thought about it but there aren't any direct flights and the cost of a longer flight (with a stop) is about 2.5 x flying direct into Albuquerque...plus I was planning to stop by a friend's place in Durango.

Something to keep in mind.

Assuming can pack out a boned-out hind quarter and front quarter of cow elk at once then probably looking at 3 trips from point of kill to get everything to the truck though perhaps 4. Every mile deeper is another 5 total miles for 3 trips and 7 miles if 4 trips required to get elk and camp out on your back. I no longer think of how any miles deep I am but how many total miles of pack out are needed. Say are in 3 miles. Hike to truck, 3 miles. Go back in is 6 miles round trip. Go back in is 6 miles round trip. So 15 miles or 21 if need a 3rd roundtrip. 4 miles is only 20 or 30 minutes of hiking further than 3 miles in but total pack out goes up a lot. Add in uneven terrain and can be more than a one day pack out.

I've hunted that unit. You'll find cows in that area.
Hi Tbone.. man I never visited Colorado and I'm staying in ouray... I got a tag for cow elk for unit 65... where would you recommend for me to check out in unit 65 for the biggest success? I have no idea where to get started. Any advice suggestions will be greatly appreciated man!

It's tough hunting in 65 right now. Freaky warm weather.

If I had a tag in my pocket, I'd go to timberline and above.

Hi All,
I'm new here and new to Elk (though not to hunting). I've been invited to go along on CO elk hunts with some friends the previous 3 years but but haven't been able to make it work with my schedule. This year I was able to work it out but no one else could. Rather than put it off another year I've decided to go it alone. I'm going to try for a cow in Unit 65 in the Second Rifle season. I figure that, being my first elk hunt, finding a cow will be a bit easier (5:1 cow:bull in that unit) plus the lack of antlers is one less logistical issue to deal with when heading back to New York.

I've been doing some e-scouting and have been looking at a few drainages east of Cow Creek, south of Red Creek north of Oben Creek as potentially my potential primary area to focus on, though I've also been checking out a couple of other areas.
For anyone who has hunted this unit, does that sound like a reasonable place to start?

I'm planning to go pretty lightweight, hike in and camp, probably 4 days hunting. I'd like to go deep but I'm likely going to be packing out alone if I'm successful and it looks like this unit can be pretty rugged so I'll probably limit myself to 4-5 miles from the truck. I say "likely" because a friend who lives in Durango and hikes/camps in the area quite a bit will probably be with me the first two days (though not hunting).

I know I'm going to hear "get in shape." To address that: I'm 40 run 7-8 miles a few times per week, do a couple hundred pull-ups a couple times a week, plenty of pushups and a few other exercises so I'm in pretty good shape all the time. I am now adding morning hikes/hills with a weighted pack and a little additional core work to the normal routine. I can't simulate altitude but, in the past when visiting a friend in Aspen my sea level 7-8 mile runs turned into more like 6-6.5 miles with the similar effort and pace and no sickness at altitude...so I'm hoping the transition won't be too harsh.

Thanks,
William
Hey William... I'm going to unit 65 for third rifle season... any tips or recommendations on where is good spot to find some cows?
Hi All,

Thanks,
William
Hi William! how was your hunt last year go?? man I'm in the same boat and have a tag for cow elk for 3rd rifle season.... any insight where you would recommend me to go find elk in unit 65? Any advice on a good spot would be very appreciated!!! This is my first time stepping into Colorado. Thanks man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back