Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado unit 27

CowboyLeroy

I looked around for a while trying to find some info on the unit but there is t much available. I picked up a December cow tag in the secondary draw and I'd just like a little general info on the unit. How are the roads? is it eat up with people? Is there a pretty strong population of elk? I know there was a pretty big burn a few years ago but I have an almost microscopic level of late season elk hunting knowledge so if there's anything out there you can offer, help a brotha out.

I looked around for a while trying to find some info on the unit but there is t much available. I picked up a December cow tag in the secondary draw and I'd just like a little general info on the unit. How are the roads? is it eat up with people? Is there a pretty strong population of elk? I know there was a pretty big burn a few years ago but I have an almost microscopic level of late season elk hunting knowledge so if there's anything out there you can offer, help a brotha out.

There is 2 sections of 27 one is south of hwy 134 other is north of hwy 134 end hwy 40 and it does have one rd from 134 to hwy 40 and it's gated. I would call FS and find out when rd would be closed. There is dude ranch on south end and they keeps rd plowed to that rd during winter so nothing else is plowed. You also need good map on that section as unit 15 does cross that rd and before fire outfitter/hunters use it access Sarvis Creek Wilderness.

When you turn off Hwy 134 north you have mtn home development and would assume some owners may unit 27 or 15. There is some access off hwy 40 walk-in or drive-in to state land. I would call DOW they should give you what rd to take off hwy 40.

I do little stream fishing unit 15/27 and may get first rifle bear tag during archery about only time I hunt those units. Never hunted south section 27. Pretty small unit and reason don't hear much about 27.

I hunted this unit last year for archery elk. We accessed it from the west using NF-100 and from the east using highway 40. NF-100 will be tough if the weather is bad. Both were packed but mostly muzzleloader mule deer hunters. If you plan on parking and walking in off 40 get there early, the lot is small and was full every day. Also, camping was not permitted on state land so keep that in mind. Checking border areas between public and private may not be a bad idea. Good luck!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back