Caribou Gear

Colorado Unit 22, 21, 30,31, 32

JTRAIN40

So I have searched this forum and the internet high and low for information pertaining to these units, and have found a few threads on this site as well as others (nothing really helpful). I have hunted elk before in colorado and harvested a cow a few years back in a diy national forest land hunt in a easy to draw unit 64 or 62. My uncle who got me into hunting died this past year from covid, he, his best friend Mike and myself were supposed to go on a western hunt together but kept putting it off. After my uncle died, Mike called me and said " I wanna go on a western elk hunt this year, make it happen" First rifle with 0 points unit 22 from my research was the best option, we applied and have drawn bulls tags.

I have done the internet research, used OnX and different BLM/state maps to narrow our concentration, I am looking mostly at unit 22 and 32, with several specific roads in mind hopefully we can narrow our search even more with 2 days of scouting before 1st rifle opens. I am well aware of how pressured 1st rifle can be.

What I am asking for is any advise on location in a of those 5 units, I have tried to contact the local game wardens in 32 and 22 and have had little luck speaking with them. Anything ya'll are willing to share -Roads, areas, etc. as specific or as broad as you like to be anything helps. I am really just trying to get my dead Uncles best friend an opportunity at an elk because this is probably his one chance. God bless and thank you from a conservative high school history teacher from Ohio.

---- Jon---

So I have searched this forum and the internet high and low for information pertaining to these units, and have found a few threads on this site as well as others (nothing really helpful). I have hunted elk before in colorado and harvested a cow a few years back in a diy national forest land hunt in a easy to draw unit 64 or 62. My uncle who got me into hunting died this past year from covid, he, his best friend Mike and myself were supposed to go on a western hunt together but kept putting it off. After my uncle died, Mike called me and said " I wanna go on a western elk hunt this year, make it happen" First rifle with 0 points unit 22 from my research was the best option, we applied and have drawn bulls tags.

I have done the internet research, used OnX and different BLM/state maps to narrow our concentration, I am looking mostly at unit 22 and 32, with several specific roads in mind hopefully we can narrow our search even more with 2 days of scouting before 1st rifle opens. I am well aware of how pressured 1st rifle can be.

What I am asking for is any advise on location in a of those 5 units, I have tried to contact the local game wardens in 32 and 22 and have had little luck speaking with them. Anything ya'll are willing to share -Roads, areas, etc. as specific or as broad as you like to be anything helps. I am really just trying to get my dead Uncles best friend an opportunity at an elk because this is probably his one chance. God bless and thank you from a conservative high school history teacher from Ohio.

---- Jon---
I'm heading to 22 on a muzzleloader hunt next week. If I remember when I get back I ll let you know how it went.

Lots if different country to hunt there and different challenges. At first rifle, the elk start to transition to lower elevations but the bulls should mostly still be up high. If you limit your search to areas above 7500', timbered, nasty hikes around private, you'll be on the right track. I'd look where these units border each other rather than where they border other units

---- Jon---
I solo hunted Unit 21 first rifle last year. My experience: a lot of hunters (all very friendly) around except for the ridge I was camped on; when I arrived there was 4" of snow on the ground and it was cold at night; saw 1 bull 2 days before the season started while setting up my tent but saw a lot of fresh sign in every morning and a half dozen cows with a spike one day. I got the impression that the amount of hunters were getting the elk moving, well before sun up, off the the ridges down towards if not on the private ranches at the lower elevations and they would return to the higher elevations after sundown.

I scouted the area I hunted in and another the August prior to the season; saw lots of tracks then, but little to no water. If I were to draw this tag again, I would have a backup area to try if not seeing any elk at my primary location.

Even though I was not successful on my first western hunt, I enjoyed myself.

I'll be in those units for First Rifle as well, probably solo. Been combing through those units using Randy's parameters for the Terrain Analysis tool on the goHunt mapping tool.

This will be my first Elk hunt, looking forward to it on 1'st rifle. Looks like it will be challenging by the posts on here and other threads. Was supposed to be with locals, but they had to bow out.

This will be my first Elk hunt, looking forward to it on 1'st rifle. Looks like it will be challenging by the posts on here and other threads. Was supposed to be with locals, but they had to bow out.
Welcome to hunt talk.

Just got back from 1st rifle in these units, first time there. Stayed in 22 the whole time but all over it. Saw 1 spike and 1 2-3 point (hard to tell and did not get long to look) and around 15 cows. All very early in the morning and seemed to be going from feeding on private back up to bed with the exception of the spike. I never really picked up a pattern for where they liked to move through going to and from the private fields. Only pattern was morning I never saw anything after 8:15. Huge amount of land with all the combined units so I just picked the one. One of my hunting partners got a cow. It was part of a group we almost hit crossing the road, followed them over a small hill close to the road and he got one on the edge of timber about 120 yards over the top of the hill. They had stopped for some reason before going into the timber. Tons of ridges and drainages going down to the fields in that unit. They seem to use them all. Also did not see much of any water. We did not hike very far from the truck but 22 is not really a hike in and glass kinda unit I don't think. Maybe in an area I was not in. We would take a road to a well pad (tones of them) and follow ridges out and watch the right of ways for pipelines etc. If I apply in these units again it will be for a cow for sure. That's my quick take.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back