Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado OTC Turkey Suggestions

nhn2a

I have a buddy who is heading to Denver for a his daughters Volleyball tournament in late April and he's contemplating extending his trip to try a turkey hunt while there. He's hunted turkey a lot just not in Colorado. It looks like he's just missed the draw deadline for limited units. Does anyone have any suggestions on promising OTC units to look at within a few hours of Denver?

Turkey hunting around Denver can be tall order.

Check out the Colorado hunting atlas and turn on the winter concentration areas, those will give you an idea of where the birds are. 3-4 hours is more reasonable for a decent crack at a bird IMHO.

Its taken me a couple years to figure out some vaguely consistent turkey spots within an hour of Denver (I live 30 mins north of Denver). There are far better spots on the western slope and along the state's big river valleys (the Arkansas, San Juan, Rio Grande and Animas in particular).

@wllm1313 gave you a great starting point. If you have a couple of days to burn, pick a spot and go wander around until you find a good looking spot or some sign. My general tip would be to stay mobile...Merriams can cover a lot of ground and easily do a 4-5 mile loop each day through some steep and rough terrain. Also just an FYI an CO OTC tag covers all of the units shaded in the brochure. For example, you can hunt by Fairplay one day and Rifle the next.

Turkey hunting around Denver can be tall order.

Check out the Colorado hunting atlas and turn on the winter concentration areas, those will give you an idea of where the birds are. 3-4 hours is more reasonable for a decent crack at a bird IMHO.

Yeah we figured the same about nearby Denver. He said he willing to drive 3-4 hours away which will probably be his best bet it sounds.

I have a buddy who is heading to Denver for a his daughters Volleyball tournament in late April and he's contemplating extending his trip to try a turkey hunt while there. He's hunted turkey a lot just not in Colorado. It looks like he's just missed the draw deadline for limited units. Does anyone have any suggestions on promising OTC units to look at within a few hours of Denver?

I'd look at least an hour from Denver if you want personal space, the areas southwest of Denver will be you and your closest 1000 new friends hunting for turkeys...

Turkey hunting on the front range of CO can be maddening. In 3 yrs I have found one spot that is somewhat consistent, but it seems to be a matter of timing. They are there every year but it could be opening day or a few weeks into the season. I've concluded it depends on moisture, but I also admit I have no clue. IME the western and southwestern parts of the state are more consistent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back