Colorado Mule Deer Unit 20 vs 29 2nd rifle

rideold

I'm looking to hunt a unit closer to home so my kids can come with me on afternoon/evening hunts. I've not hunted the front range before. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on unit 20 compared to 29. They both seem to have pretty decent populations and success rates for 2nd rifle. 20 looks to have more public land at lower elevations as well as maybe more habitat contiguity. I'm somewhat familiar with the land in either unit. I'm not looking for advice on where to go. I'd rather figure that out on my own. I'm just asking about general hunting in the two units. 29 might be a bit easier to draw. Thoughts? Experience?

i know you didn't say you're looking for advice on where to go, but i would go 20, hands down

i have no experience in 20 for hunting, but i'm really curious about it. i imagine it would okay to good when it comes to finding public land deer. still require some legwork. i gave 38 a shot a while back when i was bored and wanting to go out one weekend after having not planned a deer hunt that fall, so i grabbed a leftover

i think if you spent enough time in 38 or 29 on various little chunks of public, waiting patiently in a few spots for days on end you could make it happen. but i'll never bother there again unless i happen have a another fall where i wasn't planning on colorado deer hunting but then end up wanting to out of boredom or last minutes changes of plans that result in myself with nothing to do on a 3rd season weekend

This buck came out of 29 during 2nd rifle last year, which I was pretty impressed with. That said, I think 20 is a bit easier to navigate as far as public land unless you plan to go way up in the Wilderness. I turkey hunt in 20 and 29 and I think I've seen more deer in 20.

IMG_0190.JPG

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same about access and land ownership navigation in regards to 20 as well. I think I'll put 20 as first and 29 as second seeing as I don't have any deer points right now anyway!

I like it. I picked up 29 as a leftover last year and there were plenty of them as I recall.

NRP great buck for 29! I hope you got a unit 20 tag, much better area to hunt. I hunted 29 last year all 5 days of 4th rifle, sun up to sun down, I saw a ton of hunters and only a couple deer. Not saying that you can’t make it happen in 29 but kind of a pain to navigate, plus it gets hammered with hunters/ hikers/ bikers/ runners/ backpackers/ hippies and the rest haha. I didn’t draw 20 this year a bunch of friends did, so I’m headed back 29 for another round of punishment. Good luck and shoot straight!

I've had success in 20. Like others are saying nav is easier. But I've seen deer on public in 29 too.
Any Tips on Public Mule Deer locations for 29? Headed that way this year for 2nd rifle season and need some help. Also looking for good dispersed camping to get away from the crowd and walk and hunt is possible.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back