Colorado Mule Deer Decision

hogcarpy

Fellas,

With the season structure change, and a little impatience, I'm strongly considering burning my mule deer points this year. I have enough points to draw either Unit 21 2nd season or Unit 40 3rd season. I've hunted around the west, but never in western CO. I'm hoping to get a few opinions on 2nd vs 3rd season.

Obviously 3rd season is better, however, I'm trying to weigh that with the unit quality. Unit 21 appears to be better on paper and I know a few folks that hunt that unit that would be willing to help and their knowledge would be very helpful. Unit 40 3rd season would potentially time the rut better and be able to find pockets of public away from other, but I would be on my own. I will take at least one scouting trip this summer to either unit.

Any input or opinions would be welcome. I'm really on the fence on this one.

Thanks,
AC

Last edited:
This is coming from a guy that hasn’t hunted either. But I would hunt 40 3rd over 21 2nd. Good luck

I don’t know it off the top of my head, but are either of those units OTC elk units?

If so, in my limited experience, 3rd is much, much more crowded in OTC areas. Something to think about.

I would go where you have insider knowledge. I have seen that make more of a difference than season frequently
+1
BB.jpg

2 comments, 1) I would never waste points on unit 40 unless you had access to private land, 2) are you sure you have enough points? I predict it will cost more points for tags this year.

Something you have to consider is the new season structure when applying. With 3rd season being later you may see more people unloading points for that season than previous years. If you can hunt the whole season I would go 21 2nd rifle that gives you 9 days of hunting opposed to 7 days in 3rd season.

Thanks for the input fellas. Hopefully the draw is kind this year. It will be interesting to see how many folks jump in the draw due to the later dates this year vs. apply for preference points due to today's uncertainty.

Something you have to consider is the new season structure when applying. With 3rd season being later you may see more people unloading points for that season than previous years. If you can hunt the whole season I would go 21 2nd rifle that gives you 9 days of hunting opposed to 7 days in 3rd season.
Not me . I’d take 7 days , closer to the rut vs 9 days earlier .

Who knows what it's going to be this year lots of things have changed since last year. The different season dates and covid19. I just put in for tags that were harder to draw than I had points for as first choice and put in for hunts that I wouldn't mind doing that drew second choice last year. Who knows I might end up with 0 tags. If that's the case then I have plan c of picking up a left over that's always left over.

Not to hijack this thread, but do y'all really think that the later seasons will affect draw odds? I put in for a unit that had 100% for the number of points that I have, but very low odds for one point less.

If I draw my second choice unit, I will not be upset or anything, I put the same second choice unit I drew last year for that lol

I hunted the areas east of that for years with very good luck. I would hunt the areas between Meeker and Rifle especially areas adjacent to Strawberry Creek. Area 11 between Meeker and Rifle west of Strawberry Creek road is real good and so is Area 22 Little Hills. However, Little Hills is so fenced in and cattle infused, you will need to allow a lot of time for opening and closing of gates.

Back