Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado Gmu suggestions Youth Deer

Troy_MN_CO

Been looking over the GMUs trying to find a good deer, just doe, area for my son. Last year didn’t work out on some private land, though a great experience. This year I’d like to hunt with him, rifle, but looking at the point draw stats, he may draw in areas while I may not due to him having a youth preference. We both have zero points for deer going into the draw this year. Any suggestions on areas or possibility of private out there before we put in for our draw coming up soon? Thanks.

Troy....are you a Colorado resident? If so I would recommend an RFW tag.
I am. I did look at those. But looking at the statistics it looked liked on lots of those you needed many more than zero points even for youth. I may need to look at some of the others, could have been the ones I was looking at. Thanks!

I am. I did look at those. But looking at the statistics it looked liked on lots of those you needed many more than zero points even for youth. I may need to look at some of the others, could have been the ones I was looking at. Thanks!
Do you have a certain geographical area your are trying to get a tag for?

Not really. Open to all areas of the state. Limited in that I get him on a schedule from school, but I work with that. I know there are areas that you can get zero points, have hunted some and just don’t see anything but that could be me. Hoping he gets the chance. That’s my ultimate goal

Where are you at? Talk to local farmers. If you're just looking for a couple does, lots of farmers get crop damage tags that they'll give away to kids. My area is mid august through mid october too, so you'd have lots of time. Most CPW officers will know the ones in the area to ask too.

Where are you at? Talk to local farmers. If you're just looking for a couple does, lots of farmers get crop damage tags that they'll give away to kids. My area is mid august through mid october too, so you'd have lots of time. Most CPW officers will know the ones in the area to ask too.
Thanks. Yes I’m right outside Denver. Lots of farming. I haven’t asked but some forums I’ve read for 104 etc have mentioned how many don’t like to have people hunt. But I can’t see how that could be the case with everyone. We hunted farm land last year. Not sure but I think he lets a different youth hunt each year. Then another said yes to my son and just before season said sorry too many hunters which was ok but my son was taken back by that. I’m sure we will find a great spot.

What are you limitations? How much time to hunt? What time of year? Driving distance?

What are you limitations? How much time to hunt? What time of year? Driving distance?
Limitations are my parenting schedule which is every other weekend. That limits time to hunt but could maybe take a day off before or after weekend. Doesn’t matter time of year or where, I’ll do my best to fit it in as needed. Last year was late season and him being a youth it got extended into January even.

Check the RFW ranches near Craig....I think there may be a couple new ones this year.....LOTS of deer out there and I think some can be had at zero pts as a first choice

I want to say thanks to everyone for the replies. I put in for RFW and we shall see what happens. Great to have good advice from others on here. Much appreciated!

Reactions: LCH
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back