Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado GMU 501 - what it like there for elk?

bmontang

Thinking about trying to draw 501 this year. The stats from 2019 1st rifle look promising, but wanted to see if anyone has first hand knowledge. Crazy part is I had an uncle who lived in Bailey and have been in the north end of the unit some but don't recall much about it.

Just my opinion, I work in Bailey right now, and most the elk I see are on private. I believe 501 takes points to draw because of its proximity to the Denver Metro, not because its worth a shit.

I hunted there once. Still a lot of hunters. Like said above most elk are on private. Saw more deer then anything.

The unit is 90+% public, very little private land but access is still average, lots of wilderness area, it's rugged, lots of hikers and recreation at the trailheads...hunt it and report back

I hunted there once. Still a lot of hunters. Like said above most elk are on private. Saw more deer then anything.

How long ago did you hunt it? I ask because in 2019 and 2020 it is 100% limited draw - archery, muzzie, and all rifles. The number from 2019 were 100 Archery tags, 10 muzzie cow tags, 35 muzzie bull tags, 30 1st rifle bull tags, 52 2nd rifle bull tags, 38 third rifle bull tags, and 10 fourth rifle bull tags. Total tags across the board for the unit was 275 tags. Spread across 501 sq miles (320,833 acres) of which 90% is public and all the seasons that doesn't seem like a lot of pressure.

Not trying to start an argument just trying to deepen my understanding of what is and is not pressure.

How long ago did you hunt it? I ask because in 2019 and 2020 it is 100% limited draw - archery, muzzie, and all rifles. The number from 2019 were 100 Archery tags, 10 muzzie cow tags, 35 muzzie bull tags, 30 1st rifle bull tags, 52 2nd rifle bull tags, 38 third rifle bull tags, and 10 fourth rifle bull tags. Total tags across the board for the unit was 275 tags. Spread across 501 sq miles (320,833 acres) of which 90% is public and all the seasons that doesn't seem like a lot of pressure.

Not trying to start an argument just trying to deepen my understanding of what is and is not pressure.
I hunted second season cow. With 150 cow tags and some deer tags it was probably a bit more busier then first.
I also learned later that the place I hunted got the most pressure. Or I just always seemed to run into other guys.
Just my experience.

I forgot about cow tags, that adds the 150 tags last year spread over the three seasons. That still doesn't seem like a lot but I know what you mean on certain places drawing pressure. We drew the grand mesa 1st rifle last year and there seemed to be more pressure on the limited first rifle than the OTC second rifle the year before. It looked like a pumpkin patch with all the orange.

@bmontang Did you go hunt this unit? I stubbled across this unit myself last night while doing some research. I was looking at going during the muzzleloader season. Just wondering if you went and your thoughts after having boots on the ground.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back