Colorado Elk Unit 24

TruckStevens

Hello! First time poster, here - looking for some insight. I have an elk hunt coming up in CO in about two weeks. I am hunting unit 24, and feel like I have a pretty solid plan, but was hoping to bounce it off of some folks who might know a thing or two more than I do. I am going to lay my hunt plan out - as I have never had success on an elk, I am not too afraid that I am divulging any grand secrets : )

Anyway, I am going to hunt unit 24 in CO, right outside of ****. My plan is to hunt the drainages below *** Mountain. I have spent a fair amount of time in the area, and have patterned the elk using a few of these drainages to get to and from feeding. They feed onto a private ranch on the valley floor. My plan is to pick a different one of these drainages each morning and glass until I am able to get into them. These drainages have good looking north facing dark timber, and equally as good looking south facing aspen stands.

I guess I am not exactly sure what I am asking here. But as a novice hunter, maybe I am just looking for some assurance. I know there will be pressure in the area, but I also know that there are elk in the area. Does my plan sound reasonable? I am I missing anything? Anyone have any intel they would care to share?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
It's a solid plan so far, now what happens in the next few days is a complete mystery.
The ranchers that have the grazing lease are on top by Meadow lake now they will start the drive to push cows off today through the end of the week. 14 riders and at least that many dogs will have elk scattering all over the place. Last year they did it the two days before opening day and there was nothing left up top. It's wonderful to be sitting on a prime location then the deer come busting out along with 40 or 50 head of beef then out trails the cowboys and dogs, at least the dogs are friendly.
We are all in the same boat, so I would stay as low as possible the first two days then move up as you see fresh tracks or poop. Had a few spike bulls wander back up but no cows until the last day of the season.
Depending on your age and physical ability you can easily get in behind the YZ ranch from Spring Creek Campground. I did it and it's not terrible but be very aware of the property boundaries.
Lots of elk to the south of Peltier lake this past week over toward Fowler Peak, again not bad hiking.
Good luck

It's a solid plan so far, now what happens in the next few days is a complete mystery.
The ranchers that have the grazing lease are on top by Meadow lake now they will start the drive to push cows off today through the end of the week. 14 riders and at least that many dogs will have elk scattering all over the place. Last year they did it the two days before opening day and there was nothing left up top. It's wonderful to be sitting on a prime location then the deer come busting out along with 40 or 50 head of beef then out trails the cowboys and dogs, at least the dogs are friendly.
We are all in the same boat, so I would stay as low as possible the first two days then move up as you see fresh tracks or poop. Had a few spike bulls wander back up but no cows until the last day of the season.
Depending on your age and physical ability you can easily get in behind the YZ ranch from Spring Creek Campground. I did it and it's not terrible but be very aware of the property boundaries.
Lots of elk to the south of Peltier lake this past week over toward Fowler Peak, again not bad hiking.
Good luck
Thanks for the solid advice - I really appreciate it! My plan is to stay pretty low to start; to be near the YZ Ranch boundary on the first few mornings. I will pick a different drainage that runs into that property each day, and hope I am able to turn something up. I am fairly young and able, so I won't mind picking my way down the mountain side and back each morning and evening. But If I don't see anything by the end of the second day, I will likely head to the other side of the valley to have a look at Hill Creek and Fowler Peak. It sure seemed like a lot of fellas were running horses on that side of the mountain last year, though.

Maybe while they're pushing cattle this week, the elk will group up on the YZ Ranch until they finish up?

Thanks again for the advice - I will stick to my plan as it is and hope for the best!

Oh you're definitely not asking for honey holes, but you're totally giving your spot up to the masses, you can probably expect extra company there now.

or diverting attention away from the honey holes!

but really, i might be crossing off a spot i've been looking at hitting up this year now that it's being discussed lol

I seriously doubt if the number of road hunters (ATV/UTV) will change anything. Most folks are still scared to get into the woods. So burn some boot leather and you will find elk. I was glassing from a ridge last month and watched 3 UTV's drive right past a group of bedded cows not 40 yards from the trail but behind some oak. And most of the horse packers in the Spring creek valley head up towards Peltier lake area, go south and you will be all alone.
If your skirting the YZ be damn sure of the property lines, they are out in force and the warden is on their side not yours. Also there are several moose yearlings (5 that I have seen) wandering around so be very sure of your target! Not to mention, the local sow has three cubs, so again be aware!!, the cubs are small so you won't see them above the grass.

I seriously doubt if the number of road hunters (ATV/UTV) will change anything. Most folks are still scared to get into the woods. So burn some boot leather and you will find elk. I was glassing from a ridge last month and watched 3 UTV's drive right past a group of bedded cows not 40 yards from the trail but behind some oak. And most of the horse packers in the Spring creek valley head up towards Peltier lake area, go south and you will be all alone.
If your skirting the YZ be damn sure of the property lines, they are out in force and the warden is on their side not yours. Also there are several moose yearlings (5 that I have seen) wandering around so be very sure of your target! Not to mention, the local sow has three cubs, so again be aware!!, the cubs are small so you won't see them above the grass.
I agree - having been up there for first and second rifle last year, I know the area is no secret. The area also has enough roads to attract the lazy - I figure if I can can a mile off the road/trail, I won't run into many others. And I figure that on the east facing slope of Burro Mountain there won't be any outfitters with wall tents set up anywhere over there.

Thanks for all the intel on the other critters, too. I have a bear tag, but I will be very cautious about taking a shot. Less interested in filling that tag unless I happen to fill both my elk tags opening day!

And I think I will avoid the YZ boundary, at least accessing it from the campground. I will make my way to the South end of that mountain face, but I will plan to stay on that east facing slope. I have scouted down around that boundary before, so I know how confusing it gets, and how easy it would be to end up on the ranch. I would hate to catch a ticket for something dumb like that. Especially since OnX sometimes lags.

Thanks again for everything, man. I appreciate your knowledge of the area and your willingness to share! Hope I can post a pic of a successful hunt on this thread soon!

Has anyone been to 24 and care to comment on the springs/creeks? I know that area is currently listed as undergoing an "Extreme Drought"

Has anyone been to 24 and care to comment on the springs/creeks? I know that area is currently listed as undergoing an "Extreme Drought"
I haven't been up there since August, but when I was there, I got rained on a good amount. Also looks like there's some precipitation in the forecast for *** in the coming days - hoping that means creeks and streams will be flowing.

Last edited:
or diverting attention away from the honey holes!

but really, i might be crossing off a spot i've been looking at hitting up this year now that it's being discussed lol

Hopefully that's the plan, since there are 11 replies but 444 total views on this thread :unsure:

Hi all - I meant to follow up a few weeks ago, but time got away from me. Anyway, a brief recap of the hunt. The area described above was BUSY. There were a lot of other hunters - I think we counted over 30 trucks at the trailhead... It was not ideal. On opening morning we heard a lot of shots from the outfitter camps in the area (I assume that's who it was anyway). And we were bumped into by at least a dozen hunters. It was a bummer. We decided that after the second morning hunt, we would pack camp and try to find some place else to go. And wouldn't you know it, when spirits were low, a nice 5x5 came sauntering though the drainage where I was siting. I shot him at about 120 yards, he ran maybe 30 yards, and was dead in about 20 seconds. After the headache of the pressure, I couldn't believe that it happened. Success was great, but I honestly don't know if I would go back... 6BF085EB-FB07-4780-BC6D-AF6FC0926514.jpeg

I plan on doing a DIY next Sep. I plan on bringing my UTV just to get some distance before taking off on foot and putting some miles in. Any suggestions or advice from what you learned?

It appears that this information is all on regards to one of the rifle seasons. Anyone been in there during ar hery/muzzleloader? My better half has a muzzy tag so we will be there for the whole season. Probably be doing 2-3 day pack sessions unless we find something we like. Was looking in this general area, more east but close enough before finding this thread

During the archery and muzzle season the bulls tend to stay quiet until after dark, then they go crazy, so be sure you can stay to the end of shooting light.

It appears that this information is all on regards to one of the rifle seasons. Anyone been in there during ar hery/muzzleloader? My better half has a muzzy tag so we will be there for the whole season. Probably be doing 2-3 day pack sessions unless we find something we like. Was looking in this general area, more east but close enough before finding this thread

He already gave you the unit number, ranch names, and a general plan of attack after having

"spent a fair amount of time in the area, and have patterned the elk using a few of these drainages to get to and from feeding. They feed onto a private ranch on the valley floor. My plan is to pick a different one of these drainages each morning and glass until I am able to get into them. These drainages have good looking north facing dark timber, and equally as good looking south facing aspen stands."

He also followed that up with what they actually did once on the ground, and included a dead elk picture.

Bumping this thread for more season-relevant information should definitely improve the quality of your hunt and overall experience.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 7.17.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 7.17.47 AM.png
    566.9 KB · Views: 21
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back