Colorado Elk Hunt, Unit 521, 42, 52, 421, 41 & 411 New Elk Hunter

Dking300

Hey guys, i leave Oct9th from Atlanta GA on my first Elk hunt, I am ecstatic! I will be hunting the first rifle season and have narrowed down some areas (E-scouting only unfortunately) in 521 & 42. ANY advise i could get i would greatly appreciate! We will be backpacking in light and willing to put in some miles. My head is just spinning on where to start, LOL. So any advise I'll take, thanks to those who are willing!

Sounds like its mostly the Grand Mesa/Gunnison National Forest area. We are headed there for the second rifle. There isn't many areas on the public grounds without roads every couple miles. I have been on the Mesa multiple trips in the summer but this is the first trip hunting it. I think the area bordering the BLM ground to the south looks promising.

Good luck.

Definitely been a dry year over there with water, might look at hunting the private/public border areas. My father-n-law has had bulls on his property all month in 52 and in a lot of years we don't see them till 4th season.

Hunted second rifle for deer in 521 last year, saw couple groups of elk, hiked up Dark Canyon, one group was up Devil's Stairwell, go to it tops out, then hunt right off the trail, some good meadows with creek's below and timber to bed in. Lot's of hunting pressure though, horses and outfitters in area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back