Colorado Eastern Plains DYI Mule Deer (Archery)

So after much deliberation and forum persuasion I've decided to focus my efforts away from Nebraska and back on Colorado. I have a limited amount of funds, gear and overall resources for this trip. I will also, more than likely, be on my own. Because of that I'm looking for units that are near the Colorado Springs area. I've been looking at unit 119 near Brett Gray Ranch State Trust Land and unit 125 near Blue Lake State Trust Land and the Arkansas River.

As mentioned on my previous (Nebraska) thread, I'm not looking for honey holes or secret locations. But rather any information anyone may have on these specific units. Or any other units near this location. Info such as, ease of draw (0 pts), public land access, and most importantly, if there are any Mule Deer in the area.

To be honest if I manage to glass a few I'd consider this a success as it'll be my first DIY solo Mule Deer hunt.

Looking to learn, looking for the experience. And if along the way I manage to harvest then that'll be great too!

Thanks in advance!

Are you setting up some private land in those units? Mule deer are slim pickins on the little public that does exist in those units.
Unfortunately, no. That’s what I was worried about as well the limited amount of public.

I'm not saying you can't find deer on Brett Gray but I wouldn't put in for the tag and I live in Colorado Springs. Never been to the other 1. And as far I know Colorado Springs is about as close as you can find a place to stay so you're looking at an hour drive roughly each way

Brett Gray and Blue Lakes, despite their size, are quite crowded and have very few mule deer. I really had great hopes for both, but they are obvious on the atlas and 1-3 hours from 3 million people. I'd drive farther east, or west instead.

If you want to have an enjoyable hunt here is what I would do based on my similar experiences 10+ years ago.

Stop trying to find a hunt with no points. Those are marginal at best, and for first Western hunt it's going to leave you frustrated and waste a lot of $.

Spend your time looking for a hunt areas that you can draw with 3 points.
Then plan to draw a doe tag the first year so you can learn the area, find where deer are, patterns, and how they move during hunting season.
Second year doe tag or possibly an antelope or cow elk tag to keep learning the area. Even a summer vacation with the family can be good for this.
Third year draw the tag you have been after and you will actually know what you are doing. You will have an enjoyable hunt this way.

If you don't want to be that patient then look at options for a landowner tag or guided hunt.

I don't mean to be rude but blindly going to heavily hunted areas for your first archery mule deer hunt is not likely to be a great experience. It takes time to learn an area as well so hunting the same area will help you a lot more than going to a new unit every year.

There are quite a few farther west units in CO that will have more public land that are still 0pp. And although the deer may be sparse, it can still be done.

Brett Gray and Blue Lakes, despite their size, are quite crowded and have very few mule deer. I really had great hopes for both, but they are obvious on the atlas and 1-3 hours from 3 million people. I'd drive farther east, or west instead.
True words right here. Same reason they interest you are the same reasons everyone else from the Springs and Pueblo head there. Sure there are deer at times but as others stated your success will rise the further east and south for that matter and get a couple points.

If you want to have an enjoyable hunt here is what I would do based on my similar experiences 10+ years ago.

Stop trying to find a hunt with no points. Those are marginal at best, and for first Western hunt it's going to leave you frustrated and waste a lot of $.

Spend your time looking for a hunt areas that you can draw with 3 points.
Then plan to draw a doe tag the first year so you can learn the area, find where deer are, patterns, and how they move during hunting season.
Second year doe tag or possibly an antelope or cow elk tag to keep learning the area. Even a summer vacation with the family can be good for this.
Third year draw the tag you have been after and you will actually know what you are doing. You will have an enjoyable hunt this way.

If you don't want to be that patient then look at options for a landowner tag or guided hunt.

I don't mean to be rude but blindly going to heavily hunted areas for your first archery mule deer hunt is not likely to be a great experience. It takes time to learn an area as well so hunting the same area will help you a lot more than going to a new unit every year.
I would agree with this. I have done a few deer hunts with 0 points and its already hard enough with an archery tag. Your odds of harvesting will go way up with waiting a couple of years to draw a limited unit. Less pressure and more deer. Spend the first couple of years just enjoying the trip and learning the area. It can be just as enjoyable spending a week out there and will make filling your tag that much more rewarding.

I would agree with possibly looking to the west slope if you can make it out there. There are plenty of units with good deer numbers and public land that you can draw on minimal points. But if you are keen on staying east look at some of the units around Sterling or Lamar. Still not a lot of public land but just another option. My experience with bret gray during an antelope hunt is it gets hammered by hunters and can be a bit frustrating at times.

I have hunted several of units in the eastern plains over the years and my advice is if you dont have private to hunt on dont try it . The public hunting areas get hammered and the deer are run off to the private ground . then you set glassing deer across the fence you will never have a chance to hunt .Like others say go west lots more public ground to spread out the pressure. Good luck on your venture

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back