Caribou Gear

Colorado Deer Decline Addition!

hunter72

Good Morning Guys
Here is the facts that i have encountered with Colorado in the couple years past hunts for our group. What created us to change the once great unit, that was from a once 1 point to draw unit to a 2nd choice to draw unit.
The Winter kill in 2008 as I indicated in my Article was a huge kill off for Mule Deer for a lot of Colorado Units. Its what the CDW should of done and they did cut Tags drastically.
So in 2009 there were a huge drop in tags which as a Hunter well Understood. We were fortunate to have drawn a tag that year. But! Here is what we did thinking that with this cut back it was going to be a lucky draw tag and we also new that it would take at least 1 point to draw or at least this is what we figured as a group. So the 4 of us split up, 2 would go for the draw 2 would put in for a point again thinking this would passably put us in a situation that we'd be able to go each and every year, If it were to work out the way we figured. Luckily, It did and we were able to go each and every year because part of the group each season would have a point going into the draw.
In 2009 even after the huge kill off we killed a couple very nice bucks. From 2009 till 2010 the Tags stayed low then in 2011 a slight number was added in 12 the same a few more. In 2013 those numbers were about where they were before the 2008 winter kill. Great we are thinking with that increase back to those earlier yrs good numbers of animals were coming back to the objective they strive for or close and possibly a little lower.
Then in 2014 the tags went up by 100 more tags. Each and every yr after the tags were increased and in 2017 we changed units because those tags rose from 193 to what they are today at 525 tags. Drastic change!
For that unit it is way to many tags and when you are hunting in an area or Unit to where the hunter population is at a maximum. Does anyone not think you have a much better chance at seeing or killing a good buck with less hunters?
We all understand that not every unit in 08 was a huge kill off but plenty were.
What I indicated in my last thread was don't always be leave what the Dept says and go deep in checking the units out before putting in for a unit that you can and will draw with a second choice. regardless if that unit produced trophy caliper bucks in those earlier years or past.
When You add numbers of Tags consistently, you start seeing the huge increase in hunters, when you see hunters every where you look, you will see less mature bucks. All of us hunters whom are in the field to kill a good mature buck Travel the distances we do to do exactly that. And yes I do understand Weather Conditions add to it big time, as do many other factor and then add more hunters. What do we get? so yes do read between the lines and tell me what you come up with.
Yes that Unit has become a Meat unit and with that, that is great for the guy whom doesn't matter what he kills and is there for just the hunt, to get away, to enjoy the Beauty of Colorado.
I'm sorry I'm just not that Hunter. I have been Hunting Mules for Many, Many Years and Killed my share and now its time to hunt the larger Bucks. Even if I don't kill in my mind a trophy, but have the chance to see a couple I'm an excited Hunter. IT IS Not only about killing a huge buck! Its about hunting for a huge Buck!
We all know that if a hunter is Trophy Hunting and if were hunting DIY hunts the times you come home with a trophy is far fewer then the times we do.
My point is I'd rather have that chance By finding a place I can hunt for that huge buck without climbing the next hill to see more hunters. Or put in for a tag that I could draw with my second choice. That tells me it is a meat hunt and not a quality trophy hunt even though yes there are good bucks there too as there are in every unit. But on a DIY hunt you better try and lose the hunters or your chances are really slim.
Hear is one other thing I think about this Added Dates to our season starting in 2020 and the real start in 2021. When that 2021 season start on the 13th of Nov till the 19th of November a 3rd season hunt will be as if we are hunting a 4th season hunt. I think we all understand that. We elected this season to draw a point simply because after this first year of these extended season dates which is not really any longer then the after 5 yr normal rotation forward would be. This season would actually be a normal 3rd season hunt because they cut us to 7 day hunts. BUT! Next year is the Big year and should be great? In my opinion I think in 2021 there will be numbers cut back on tags. As the Dept knows the Numbers of trophy bucks that will get killed. My thought is if in 2019 and back, How many 4th season tags are issued in some great hunt units? and now with the number of 3rd season hunters in a 4th season Hunt will devastate the larger buck population. If anyone that Knows this, they will be out Hunting for a trophy class Mule. What do you all think? I think it will be devastating on those big bucks But, we will see. All the Years I have been hunting CO that 4th season is a point draw big time for most units and now we can hunt them 3rd season.
I'm not writing this thread to make any one think that every unit has become a meat unit. We all know that is and would not be a smart thing to say about Colorado Mule hunting. But Some/Many units have raised the tag numbers drastically. So In My Opinion because of this yes they have become meat units and yes there are still trophy class bucks in those units but much, much harder to hunt let alone see. And yes I have chatted with Hunters I know that are very good hunter that have had to do the same as we. It was a decision we all made to change units and are very happy we did. Because we wont pay to hunt and elect to hunt the way we do, we might not bring home that trophy each year but when we do its because we hunted hard for it. Good Luck to all wishing each and everyone of you kill the animal your looking and hunting for.. Thank you for letting me share an opinion I be leave whole hardedly. Good Luck All Hunter/Sculler72

Attachments

• Elk2 (1).JPG
    Elk2 (1).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back