Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado deer 52

Caleb_The_Carnivore

Hey everyone, got a question I'm hoping you all can help me with. I'm putting together a DIY hunt in Colorado. Our primary reason is for my Father in Law, who wants to go hunt there, specifically in Unit 52 because thats where he said he used to go ( been 20+ years). Im new to putting in for Colorado so my question is for those of you who hunt there is this one he should draw on 0 points? I know there is first second and third rifle. From my research sounds like 3rd rifle is the most popular due to its date coinciding with rut action. We will have atleast 5 people putting in, so its more important for us to have the best chance of everyone getting tags as opposed to hunting prime time if points are a factor. Any information you guys and gals have would be much appreciated. Not looking for anyones honey holes or anything, would just love some tips and maybe some places atleast not to go. Thanks everyone!!!

Looks like 3 points would have guaranteed a 3rd season tag last year. Only a couple drew with 2. Assuming you’re non resident.

Attachments

• B5553F90-73FF-459D-B2F7-1A8355CE3DCB.jpeg
    B5553F90-73FF-459D-B2F7-1A8355CE3DCB.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 33
No one will draw that unit for 2nd rifle with 0 points. You'll probably need at least 1 this year, and possibly 2. For 3rd rifle, you'll need 3 or 4 this year. There are other units to consider that you can draw with 0 if you just want to hunt. I would look at 2nd rifle seasons.

Last edited:
No one will draw that unit for 2nd rifle with 0 points. You'll probably need at least 1 this year, and possibly 2. For 3rd rifle, you'll need 3 or 4 this year. There are other units to consider that you can draw with 0 if you just want to hunt. I would look at 2nd rifle seasons.
yeah that the way its looking, guess we'll have to get a point and try and get something for the second draw. Father in law was hopeful for this area but I'll be happy just to get out and go anywhere!

yeah that the way its looking, guess we'll have to get a point and try and get something for the second draw. Father in law was hopeful for this area but I'll be happy just to get out and go anywhere!
Just FYI 52 is one of the tougher units for re-issued tags, for whatever reason that unit just has very few returns all things considered.

Just FYI 52 is one of the tougher units for re-issued tags, for whatever reason that unit just has very few returns all things considered.
I see this with units favored by locals. They have a deer/elk camp set up every year with a pretty steady cast of characters, just depends on how many tags they get in a given year. They were hunting OTC elk, might as well have the deer tag too.

I see this with units favored by locals. They have a deer/elk camp set up every year with a pretty steady cast of characters, just depends on how many tags they get in a given year. They were hunting OTC elk, might as well have the deer tag too.
And some of those camps are huuuuge lol

Not uncommon to see 20 trucks, 5 campers and 30 dudes in one camp.

well, somehow he got drawn with one point. We have a scouting trip coming up in July. Thanks to all who have helped with information and tips. If anyone else has suggestion, please tell me, I'm all ears. Just want to make this the best trip for him possible!

well, somehow he got drawn with one point. We have a scouting trip coming up in July. Thanks to all who have helped with information and tips. If anyone else has suggestion, please tell me, I'm all ears. Just want to make this the best trip for him possible!
Congrats on the draw with 1 point. I'd not be concerned with scouting unless you are just looking for accesses, possible camps, etc. I'm assuming you drew 2nd season?

Looks like 36 guys drew 2nd with 0 points
CF8E942B-EC9A-4E9F-B4B2-B9C53B265742.jpeg

I like how my post had people running from this unit. Call it the Bluffgruff effect. In contrast to the GoHunt effect....

Edit: also tag increases, but I stand by my power over applicant patterns.
I’ll send you a unit for next year! Maybe with your bluff effect, I can draw the tag 😂

We ended up having a great time in Colorado. The weather was good, the people there are as friendly as you could ever imagine. We had good food, good laughs, and good success. I learned a lot about a species I am not very familiar with, located in a place I had never been to. We experienced high and lows, close encounters and frustration that comes with hunting public land. For those who helped us and gave us tips and pointers to help get us started in the right direction I truly thank you and hope I can return the favor if it is needed. We knew going into this, that it was most likely my father-in-laws last hunt due to his age and health issues, so to be able to end it with his best buck ever is truly mind blowing. Until we meet again Colorado.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 61
Back