Caribou Gear

Colorado area 40

5Speedjim

I drew area 40 muzzleloader buck tag. I never been there but looked like a good place to do lots of glassing. I have a couple ideas where to start but I’m open to suggestions. I have all 9 days of the season to hunt and explore. Not planning on bringing quad, just my feet

You shouldn't need a quad for that hunt. Unit 40 is a fairly straightforward unit early. There's one section of NF up top where most of the deer and hunters are that time of year. Make sure you have onX; much of the private in 40 is not fenced off.

Apart from the deer you may be fortunate enough to glass up a couple bull elk that make you drool. The muzzy tag for elk in 40 took 18 points to draw this year as a nonresident.....

I have been in 40 several times and almost went this year but friend turned in tag because of lack of water in area. Look in the bottom corner of Little Delores River. There are a few great deer in the area but the NF will get very crowded.

Thanks everyone. I figured it might be a bit crowded but since everything is limited in that area it can’t be worse than some of the spots I’ve been to before. I’m a bit stubern so I’m not going to give up to easy. I don’t bother hunting out west without OnX anymore.

Yes, its limited, but also limited access on public. Alot of the BLM your seeing is not good deer habitat, especially in Sept. Think Desert.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back