Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado advice

forkhunter

My father and I have finally decided to pull the trigger and go for a CO deer hunt this fall if we can get it. I am the one planning the hunt for us and have narrowed it down to a few possibilities. I am hoping to get some opinions on the hunts I have narrowed it to. We have 13 points and I am looking at 4th season in unit 3 or 11, 3rd season in unit 22 or 2nd season in unit 1.

Some thoughts for us:
We are not backpack hunters but do like to get out and walk to get away from roads.
We are also not trophy hunters, but would like a good experience and hopefully an opportunity at a nice buck. I know places to get 20-22" 4x4's, and even though that is usually just fine for us, I am hoping we could go a notch better with the points we have built over time.
I know there are OTC elk hunts in 3 and 11 for sure and that is a downside. Haven't checked 22 yet.
We definitely are DIY hunters and not interested in any guided hunts.

Anyway, advice on any of these hunts would be appreciated. If I am steering way off line and you have something else you think I should look at, I would be thankful for that advice too. I don't expect anyone to give me a secret spot or anything like that, but I am hoping since these aren't "everyday" hunts I might be able to get some info from someone who has been there recently.

I have some knowledge in a few Western States if someone is looking to trade info. Private messages are welcome, of course. I am planning on hitting the phone later this week to try and get some info from CO officials.

Thanks in advance for any input you have and are willing to provide. I am open to feedback.

Shane

I would do 4th season unit 3. Make sure you have OnX maps chip.or app. You will both get your deer and possibly a chance at a good one if you hold out. Just remember that time of year can be a challenge if you get snow and you can't get around.

Unit 1 can be a pain, especially if the swinging bridge is still out in Browns Park, but that is because I like the northern part of the unit. I've seen some great deer there, and it's some great hunting. It's remote for sure. Bring extra gas no matter what. I personally love unit 1, but have never hunted 2nd season for deer. Spent a lot of time there with muzzle loader for deer and cow elk. 4th season I have seen herds of deer that make me want to hoard points till I could draw it

Unit 22, some good deer, but I would personally never use 13 points to hunt it

Unit 11, can't go wrong this a 4th season tag here. Just about any terrain you are looking for unit 11 has it.

Unit 3, 4th season, better not have a itchy trigger finger. You will get to look over a lot of good bucks 4th season. I've never had a deer tag for that season, but with a elk tag in my pocket I have seen a lot of really good bucks.

I appreciate the feedback. I think I am down to picking between 3 and 11. I am worried we won't be able to get out and hike away from roads in either unit, especially 3. Is that a valid concern?

No, the only concern would be if a big snow comes through and has you stuck on the road getting there. That is just part of hunting Colorado in late season.

I appreciate the feedback. I think I am down to picking between 3 and 11. I am worried we won't be able to get out and hike away from roads in either unit, especially 3. Is that a valid concern?

I don't think its a concern in either unit, but that time of year the bucks are going to be very mobile. I wouldn't commit to hiking into an area until you spot something worth going after. Use your glass to find one you want and go get it. I hunt 3 for mulies. I really like it. I missed a buck this past year that would have been easily been 28" wide and had 5 on one side. I really haunts me still.

Here's a couple bucks from that area. IMG_0776.jpgIMG_0774.jpg

Thanks for the advice and pictures. I am still waffling back and forth. Spoke to some folks with CPW and BLM yesterday so continuing to gather info and advice.....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back