colorado 3rd season hunt

Rjschwertz66

I posted a week or so back about my first diy elk hunt in colorado. i got a lot of great advice, and not to seem needy, but im looking for a lil more now. ive narrowed down my unit selection to 301, 4, 211. has anyone on here ventured in any of these units? and if so any info or insight would be great.

I posted a week or so back about my first diy elk hunt in colorado. i got a lot of great advice, and not to seem needy, but im looking for a lil more now. ive narrowed down my unit selection to 301, 4, 211. has anyone on here ventured in any of these units? and if so any info or insight would be great.

Google Earth
Gohunt.com
Local biologists

You're kind of new on here to ask for a ton of detailed info. Guys might give you a couple pointers or some general past experience, but don't expect much more after 3 posts here.

Call the local game wardens, wildlife biologist in those areas. Great sources of info. Also call sporting goods stores during slow times. Also local taxidermists can be insightful.

Generally mule deer will be in higher elevations earlier in the early seasons and start migrating lower in Nov based on snow levels and the rut.

Google Earth
Gohunt.com
Local biologists

You're kind of new on here to ask for a ton of detailed info. Guys might give you a couple pointers or some general past experience, but don't expect much more after 3 posts here.

Get over yourself. Just out of curiosity, how many posts does one need until we can help them out?

I hunt those units. 301 has a ton of private, I would avoid unless you have access. Just curious why you skipped over 3? I like 3 for mule deer, elk can be good in 4th. My opinion, 4 would be better suited for first or second rifle. Once those deer or elk leave the forest than can be difficult to get to, but there is some public in the NW portion of the unit. Honestly though, you are on to something with 211. There is a big chunk of private land open to walk in hunters in that unit. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Check out the free museum in Craig. Aside from shooting my buck, it was the highlight of my trip.

Check the CO Hunt Guide for NW CO: http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/HuntGuides/NWHuntGuide.pdf

Also the hunt atlas can help you out alot: http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Learn how to use the species info. Usually CPW does a pretty good job of getting ball park ideas of game locations and movements. You'll have to hoof it from there to peg down specific draws, canyons, areas, etc. But at least it will get you a good starting point.

Keep in mind you'll need snow in the lower desert units for elk to be in large numbers. Mule deer will be there year round. Hope this helps.

Get a Colorado onXmaps chip and overlay it with the Garmin basecamp software on your computer. The micro SD card comes with a full sized SD card adapter. You can see the public lands and get an idea of where you might want to start or look. The biologists and wardens are always helpful in my experience and will point you in the right direction. There's a campground in Maybell, west of Craig in 301. There's state land (maybe it's BLM?) a stones throw from the campground. If the diner is still there across the street from the campground, they have amazing burgers. There's also a processor in Maybell.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back