Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

CO Unit 43 Mule Deer - Wheels up in 11 hours!

Jorge400

Packed and ready. We are headed out early tomorrow morning for Carbondale. I'm hoping the snow over the past few days and cold weather today has the mule deer headed out of the high country and moving our way. I've been fortunate to take a few good deer in this area over the past 15 years including the one in my avatar last year. I'll be taking a good friend on his first mule deer hunt and first priority is for him to get his first mule deer. My idea is to be patient and hold out for a monster, but then again, I said that last year and shot a buck opening afternoon.

Hopefully I'll be posting up results over the next week.

George

First time in CO (or any western state) for mule deer, second season rifle with my 15 year old son. Have been e scouting the western side of unit 43 to be a little more realistic with our capabilities in that kind of terrain. I understand there will be other hunters; this we are very used to. We are not looking for a trophy or mature deer, just the experience of hunting in the west and the adventure together. We are weighing a base camp in a dispersed campsite (if we can get one) and hiking in every day vs buying the gear to hike in and camp. Planning to arrive on Thursday the 22nd or early Friday the 23rd to get set up and allow ourselves a day or so to help with the altitude. Any advice on one strategy vs the other for a couple of new western hunters in that unit?

I've never hunted that early (we always hunt 3rd season) and I imagine the deer will still be up higher than what I am accustomed to. If you are going to be hiking in each day, I'd suggest hunting an area with limited vehicular accessibility.

I've never hunted that early (we always hunt 3rd season) and I imagine the deer will still be up higher than what I am accustomed to. If you are going to be hiking in each day, I'd suggest hunting an area with limited vehicular accessibility.
Noted. Thank you. Can I ask what your definition of "higher" is? We were hoping to hunt between 9,000 and 10,500 foot but are willing to do whatever it takes. I really don't have a great feel for mule deer staging elevations relative to typical seasonal weather.

Noted. Thank you. Can I ask what your definition of "higher" is? We were hoping to hunt between 9,000 and 10,500 foot but are willing to do whatever it takes. I really don't have a great feel for mule deer staging elevations relative to typical seasonal weather.

We have hunted 3rd season at 6,400-7,000 feet. Honestly I don't know how much higher they will be during 2nd season but they start to arrive at this lower elevation the end of October.

Check the CO website. I've not seen them, but I've heard they have maps showing mule deer ranges, wintering ground, etc.

It kinda depends on the unit, but I couldn't really see the need to go above 10.5k. I would say start your hunt at that elevation and then work down from there. As far as backpacking in, it is certainly do able, but may take away some of your flexibility and it can be not all that fun at the end of October.

Good luck! I was in that area of CO a few years ago and it’s an awesome place. Was planning to be back this fall but COVID messed that up :(

The tiny bit of snow has already melted. Deer will still be in their summer ranges.

Think water. Find water. Aside from maybe 10 days, it’s been dry as hell in 43 since February.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back