CO Deer/Bear

prhunter

I have a deer hunt coming up in October (2nd Rifle) and was wondering if it would be a good idea to also pick up a bear tag.

I just received an email from CO DOW indicating that Non-Res bear tags are goin for $101.75.

My deer hunt is in unit 68/681. Thoughts?

FYT

I don't know that unit, so I can't help there. My $.02 is that if you can afford the hundred bucks, why not?!? I'll be picking up a concurrent bear tag and when I'm out during 1st rifle for elk and 2nd rifle for deer, I'll happily take a nice bear if I come across one.

Three years ago I didn't have a bear tag but if I did I could have taken an absolute hog of a sow and I regretted not being able to do so, so I've been picking up this tag since (though I have yet to fill it). It's also cheaper for me as a resident, but I'd say go for it because you may regret not having it and also because CO has too many bears in the first place!

ajricketts

I've seen enough posts about this to make me wonder if it'd be worth planning a short, 1 - 3 day bear hunt in CO on the way back from an ID or Montana trip. Some of y'all almost make it sound like a guaranteed thing in certain units.

Ben Sellers

I think unit 68 is all sold out. Several units sold out before that email was sent.

JohnCushman

I always have a bear tag during archery elk. I haven't used it yet, but I know damned well if I didn't have it in my pocket I'd have a bear within bow range. A good just in case tag.

Nick_CO

Seems like I average about 1 bear sighting per rifle hunt I go on. Largest one I saw was 4th season a few years ago. So yeah, get yourselves a bear tag. Why not? Especially OTC hunters. I wouldn't bother if I just used 15 points on a muley hunt or something, but otherwise go for it. I finally applied for and drew a September Rifle Bear tag and am excited to focus solely on a bear hunt instead of opportunistic sightings while Elk or Deer hunting like usual.

wllm1313

I've seen enough posts about this to make me wonder if it'd be worth planning a short, 1 - 3 day bear hunt in CO on the way back from an ID or Montana trip. Some of y'all almost make it sound like a guaranteed thing in certain units.
I think there are a couple places where except for POW you have the highest chances of success of anywhere in NA.

That being said I think your best chance is Sept 2-5 with a limited rifle tag.

Also, on a purely anecdotal basis, I’ve killed bears in three states... but not in CO. Partly that’s due to not wanting stop an elk hunt to pack out a bear.

Reactions: LCH

Ben Sellers

Looks like you are correct. I thought those were unlimited
Most of the bear tags that are concurrent with deer/elk seasons are over the counter with caps. This means there are a limited number of tags but they are first come, first serve.

Reactions: LCH