CO 75/751

ecroofsalot

I’m thinking of applying for 2nd drawing in 75/751. It would be a hunt/scout trip as I have a rifle deer tag. For 3rd rifle season, I’d imagine we will be forced to hunt lower. My question is, will there be any elk in the national forest in September or will they all be concentrated in the wilderness areas at high elevations?

I’m thinking of applying for 2nd drawing in 75/751. It would be a hunt/scout trip as I have a rifle deer tag. For 3rd rifle season, I’d imagine we will be forced to hunt lower. My question is, will there be any elk in the national forest in September or will they all be concentrated in the wilderness areas at high elevations?

The elk are where you find them.

Are you gonna go out and scout in September too? Your post makes it sound like your using the elk tag to scout for deer, is that correct? The second elk season is only about a week or so before third season. They are at the end of october and beginning of November

The elk are where you find them.

Are you gonna go out and scout in September too? Your post makes it sound like your using the elk tag to scout for deer, is that correct? The second elk season is only about a week or so before third season. They are at the end of october and beginning of November
Ya so we were originally going in August to get familiar with the zone but thought maybe we could go in September and take our bows with us and still get familiar with the area. We have deer tags for 3rd season in November.

Answer to your question. Yes.....
Elk will be in National forest in September

Ecroofsalot, I actually live in this area. 75/751 have less access then the other side of Durango (74) but there is some access near Vallecito reservoir if you are looking for shorter hikes in. I have had some success hunting near Lemon reservoir as well. Locally many people hunt in Beaver meadows area. The hunting can be hot and cold but there are elk in there. If the weather stays hot they will be at the top (west side) or if we get early snow they tend to filter down through there and occasionally we get some of the bigger elk from the north. If you have more time to kill and don't mind hiking I would access the unit from the north end, up by Silverton. There are some really great high country area for elk as well.

Thought of one other place....in Beaver Meadows you can hike the Pine Piedra trail....You can only hunt the west side but there is some quality habitat in that area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back