Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Clueless in Indiana

othercindy

Hey everyone,

My boyfriend of 8 years, Chance, drew a non-resident big game combo tag for Montana. This is a general unit tag/s, and this is Chance's first time to Montana AND his first ever elk hunt. It's a lot, I know. I am off work currently, so I am doing some leg work for him while he is working. We are trying to understand the regs and where he is allowed to hunt. I am in no way, shape or form looking for the easy way out, anyone's "honey holes", or super secret spots, I am just looking for some basic information as a jumping off point. I have talked to a few friends from Montana, which has helped, but knowing what units he can hunt is so confusing. I have hunted Mule Deer does in central and eastern Montana the last two years, but that is a cakewalk, compared to figuring this out. I am a stickler for rules and I want to make sure he does this right. I will not be with him on this trip. Like I said, I'm not looking for a "gimme", I just want him to have an enjoyable hunt and this not to turn into a train wreck. Anything that anyone could offer would be super appreciated.

Thanks,

Cindy

Welcome to HT! I’d suggest encouraging your husband to also create an account and post.

Your boyfriend has a "general" tag for elk and deer. Look under each unit you're interested in to see what opportunities are available for that unit under the “General Elk License” heading. Sometimes it's a simple any deer achery/rifle season. Sometimes it is a bit complicated as they breakdown buck/doe archery partial rifle season ect.

From page 15/16 in the regs.
General Elk License
The General Elk License is valid for one
elk. Hunters may hold only one General Elk
License. It can be used for elk as indicated
under the “General Elk License” heading on
the deer and elk hunting district pages of
these regulations.

As an example in HD 100 for elk you can hunt a brow-tined bull or cow during archery season, but only a brow-tined bull during rifle with a general tag.

For deer in HD 100 it is fairly complicated for whitetails but mule deer are simple. Mule deer bucks for archery and rifle. Whitetails either sex all of archery and the first week of rifle then only bucks the rest of rifle season. Unless you're 10-15yrs old or have a PTHFV permit then either sex all season. Or if you're on private land that is not the listed timber lands you can hunt either sex the last week of the season.

Welcome to HT! I’d suggest encouraging your husband to also create an account and post.
I’m off work right now (thanks to covid) so I don’t mind doing some leg work for him. Plus I may want to give elk a whirl in the future, so what better way to learn, right? He really isn’t into social sites anyway. I do enough of that for both of us! 😊

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back