Clothing suggestions for mid October WY deer hunt

ples0017

What are your suggestions for layering for a mid October hunt other than Sitka, first lite or others higher end products. Thanks

Sierra Trading post has good deals on wool and fleece layers. I always have three layers on top and two on bottom during the fall in the high country. Wool or polypropylene base, micro fleece mid layer, and a fleece jacket. If it is real cold I carry an additional down or synthetic fill jacket over the fleece. Never owned any fancy camo and the deer and elk never knew the difference. Might not need all three layers, but it is nice to have them in the pack if needed.

Last edited:
Camofire often has Core 4 Element stuff at reasonable prices. I like their stuff as well as most of the Sitka, Kuiu, and Kryptek stuff I've tried. Their camo patterns are more limited and the fit is a bit looser but they seem to hold up very well and are quiet. I have an Element vest and jacket in the sage green color I have worn on the ranch the last couple years for work that are still in good shape despite all the thorns and barb wire they see.

Lots of layers, no Cotton! Always carry spare socks and know weather can turn in minutes so plan for worst hope for best...

C

Be prepared for anything from 60 degrees to 20 degrees and snow. Last year it was 60 on the Oct. 15 opener here. Some years we have 12 inches of snow by then.Wool layers for unders and any of the Core4 or Sitka is great.

Back