PEAX Equipment

Clothing for SW CO Early season archery elk

tractor

Planning my first elk trip to SW Colorado in Sept 2017 with 3 other guys. We are camping in the San Juan mountains for 7 days. I already have lots of Sitka hunting clothing (which I love). But I'm curious if I'm bringing too much other clothing, not enough, or if I'm missing any key components. Thanks for the help guys.

What I'm bringing
-Sitka Accent Pant
-Sitka90% Jacket
-Sitka Jetstream Vest
-Sitka Core long sleeve T
-3 Pair moisture wicking socks
-3 pair moisture wicking boxers
-2 Nike DriFit T shirts
-1 pair of basketball shorts (for lounging/sleeping)
-1 pair of sweat pants (lounging/sleeping)
-1 long sleeve T (lounging/sleeping)

Give Frogg Toggs a try. Super lightweight, packable, and sheds water. I used my pants and jacket while irrigating wheel lines in chest-high grass and stayed completely dry. Quieter than my Sitka Gore-Tex and a whole lot cheaper. Looks like they have camo options now too.

I bring the same gear in September as I do in November. Maybe I don't use the down jacket but then again I might. It would be different if I was packing in but not by much. I ended last year's archery hunt in a blizzard.

any recommendations on rain jackets?

My favorite is Core4 Torrent, discontinued. Quiet, breathable, durable, weighs 14 oz and fits in pants pocket. Makes a good outer layer early and late in the day for Sept up high in CO. Comparable products would be Sylo Revel, Kuiu Chugach$$$, Cabelas Rain Suede (heavier). I like pit zips and other vents on rain gear!

As for rain gear, I don't bother with the available rain suits. A lot of my outer jackets are already Goretex, but they still leave a lot to be desired in the rain. What I use, is a $19 cheap camo or orange poncho. I have both colors. It rolls up small, and of course is 100% water proof. Yeah, to actually be still hunting in, they aren't going to be as good, but how many folks actually hunt when it's actually raining? If I get in a T storm, I find a thick pine tree, crawl under and sit down with the poncho on. I stay 100% dry, while I nap. You can also use it for a ground cloth as needed too. If it gets a minor tear, duct tape will fix, and it gets really damaged, go get another one for $10. I ride horses, and a poncho spreads out, keeping the saddle dry, so only my lower legs are exposed.
Not for everyone perhaps, but I'm happy.

for a backpack trip here is my list
What I'm wearing in
Nylon pants (Duluth)
Long sleeve lightweight Marino shirt
Wool socks
Wool underwear

What's packed
Extra underwear (1pr)
Extra socks (1 pr)
Light baselayer bottoms and top (for sleeping in)
Micro fleece shirt
Puffy jacket
Rain gear

Do a couple trips and you'll soon find out that you don't need all the extra cloths. Once you get everything loaded up in your pack and it still feels too light, add in maybe a ultralight chair or a bigger cot. I'd rather spend my ounces on comfy sleeping or camp luxuries then extra cloths.

Last edited:
Along with the recommendations above I would bring a lightweight merino wool top and bottom as a baselayer. Wool is a great insulator and doesn't stink nearly as bad as the synthetic options out there after day 4 or 5. You can spend a lot or not depending on the brand. I've been happy with a top and bottom from Minus 33 that I purchased three years ago. As always adjust your gear setup based on the best info you can get before heading in.

for a backpack trip here is my list
What I'm wearing in
Nylon pants (Duluth)
Long sleeve lightweight Marino shirt
Wool socks
Wool underwear

What's packed
Extra underwear (1pr)
Extra socks (1 pr)
Light baselayer bottoms and top (for sleeping in)
Micro fleece shirt
Puffy jacket
Rain gear

Do a couple trips and you'll soon find out that you don't need all the extra cloths. Once you get everything loaded up in your pack and it still feels too light, add in maybe a ultralight chair or a bigger cot. I'd rather spend my ounces on comfy sleeping or camp luxuries then extra cloths.

^^This guy has got it dialed in. Only thing I would add is I prefer wearing gloves, even if it hot, so I would pack my fingerless merino wool gloves. No need for more than two pairs of socks or underwear. Wear one set in and switch out at the end of each day so one set dries and you can sleep in the "clean" set.

Last edited:
-2 Nike DriFit T shirts
-1 pair of basketball shorts (for lounging/sleeping)
-1 pair of sweat pants (lounging/sleeping)
-1 long sleeve T (lounging/sleeping)

Don't even take these, its wasted weight and space.

Take 2 pairs of socks and underwear not 3.

Swap the 90% jacket for a down jacket.

Bring a rain gear top which also becomes a hardshell (sitka, kuiu, first lite)

Forget the jetstream vest, I have one and its pretty useless.

Bring the sitka core lightweight top and bottoms as base layers

Add gloves and a stocking cap.

The sitka ascent pants are perfect for this hunt as I did South Central CO in mid September this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back