Caribou Gear

Cleaning Chukar

Carnivore

Whats the best way to clean chukar. I seem to rip some meat when I try breasting them like a quail, but they seem a little small to clean them like a pheasant. Just wondering how everyone else does it.

After you've skinned them enough to expose the meat you want to get at learn to cut thru the joint where the wings start and the breast will come off easily. Or use game bird shears to cut thru the bone there. Some people think it's easiest to cut thru the wing bone with game shears about an inch out from the body and clip around the shoulder.

Bend the knee joint backwards until it pops outta joint and pull the lower leg part up the leg a little to get the skin off the knee and cut off the lower leg.
Then bend the thighs out from the body so the hip joint pops out of the socket and cut right along the body to remove the thigh and upper leg.

Save the liver and hearts too, they're good.

After you clean a couple thousand of them you'll be able to do it in your sleep!
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-23-2002 18:40: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Thanks Ithaca,

That's basically how I clean pheasant. I'm still not very good at disarticulating the wing where it meets the breast, so I usually cut the wing about an inch back as you mentioned. I've also tried cutting the breat out, but by doing so I also miss a little meat.

Thanks for the info.

Back