Cleaning brass without a tumbler?

Dilute some white vinegar in water. Like 10:1. Soak overnight or until desired cleanliness. Dry and reload.

I think cleaning the primer pocket is way over played. The only thing you'll find might need taking care of is residue around the edge at the bottom of the hole. The only place the primer touch's is the side', that never get dirty, and the bottom edge. That little screw driver I used for years with no problem at all. In the service we called it a 7 level. You reach 7 level and it's about the only tool you'd ever touch and clipped into a shirt pocket.I also think the job of cleaning case's is greatly over played. Just not usually needed. That said I tumble after every re-sizing. Make's me feel better that the lube is all off the case. But, these days my case's don't look like new and I don't care, they still shoot well! I believe the idea of sparkling new case's is all a mental game we play on ourselves! Yea, even me!

All I have ever done was take a green 3M pad and clean the necks off. Only place i seem to get any residue on the exterior of the case. Have not noticed any problems-yet. Feel pretty comfortable doing this. I know, the horror. If I have two much residue from case lube, I lay them on a t shirt, spray a light amount of WD 40 on them and roll them back and forth with another t shirt on top. I only do bolt action rifle and an old revolver.

Lately, I just resize with resizing wax and wipe them off with a Costco yellow microfiber towel. If there is any need I’ll x-fine steel wool the necks. Works just fine.

When doing volume (maybe 200+) I‘ll tumble them before and after resizing.

I have heard of people that use wd40 and a rag, have no problems.

IOSSO brass cleaner.

Dump the brass in ( I use a small net from buying Limes at the grocery store) a bucket and cover with IOSSO. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then pull them out, let em drain and then rinse in hot water.

Take my wife's hair dryer and lay them out on a towel and dry them off. Then run through the dies.

I also use the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler with steel pins and since I have bought it my 20 year old tumbler with corn media is basically collecting dust.

I only clean brass after I anneal it, and I rarely anneal brass. If you aren’t using range pickups, you could go a lifetime without ever needing a tumbler. As for getting the media out, it has always poured right out except for an occasional kernel in flashole which comes right out with a paper clip or decapping pin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back