Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Clam Chowder

Calif. Hunter

Brown some chopped bacon in a soup pot. Add chopped onion and celery when bacon is almost done. Cook until onions and celery start to turn clear. Add about 10 chopped/cubed potatoes and enough water to barely cover the potatoes. Cook over high heat until the water starts to boil, turn it down and simmer until the potatoes are done. Now is where personal taste enters the equation - if you like your chowder really thick, drain most of the water out while straining to keep the bacon, onion and celery bits in the pot. If you prefer, you can keep the liquid in the pot and skip this step. Add two cans of chopped or minced clams (or more), including the juice. Add two cans (or more) of evaporated milk or a quart of half-and-half or heavy/light cream - whichever you prefer. Throw in a healthy pinch of thyme and a smaller pinch of sage. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat and eat.

If you prefer, you can brown the onion and celery in butter, margarine or olive oil to eliminate the bacon and bacon fat.

I love all things having to do with clams (and for once I don't even mean that to be laced with innuendo :D ).

I'll definitely have to try this.

LOL, LB! You can use the smaller, minced clams and only put one small can in, you like.

I'd like to find a good recipe for the red clam chowder - there was a place on Pacific Coast Highway in Seal Beach called the "Glider 'er Inn," with a little red biplane on the roof, that made fantastic red chowder. I don't like many red varieties but theirs was great! Then they sold the place and it became an upscale dining establishment. :(

Back