Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Chopper's Call-n-Shoot

Good shootin Chopper! Was it that old beat up Ruger 77? At first sight, a person knows its been well used!

Well, I killed one with it, too.
wink.gif

Ok, Before I approach the missus about this hunt that takes place on her birthday, is this date set in stone or still negotiable. You know the older I get the more tender my ears are, that and theres not much ass left to chew off.

Well, it's up to the group but we can switch it to the 23rd & 24th. I don't have a problem with that. I would suggest you all talk about it real fast and set it in stone. If a date can't be agreed upon that will allow all 5 guys to participate, then someone is out of luck. If the other 4 agree to change the date, I'm cool with that.

Either date works for me. I know that Dan (Anaconda) has a very good chance at winning a trip that weekend in a sales contest at work, so he probably would not make it. If changing the date makes it easier for him and Keith to make it, then I'm all for it!

I don't want to stick a fork in Keith's hunt.... I've got the 9-10 off already. 23-24 doesn't work for me. I have to cover work that weekend for a co-worker.

If it works for everyone else, go for it! I say base the date on when most people can make it.

Let me pose a couple questions to all of you.

1. Who is very proficient in calling?

2. Who has their own calls? mouth or electronic.

At this point, I'm inclined to go for the first date we have set. Calling song dogs is an art aquired over time. I know T-bone has extensive experience in yote hunting and he has already made arrangements to get off work.

I talked to the missus today. I got the thumbs up for the 9th and 10th. The only snag is work now. I'm pretty sure I can get Friday off,but if not I'll come up after work and just hunt one day. I've got a rabbit in distress call that i'm told works real well, but have never tried it. Looking forward to hunting and getting together with all of you guys again.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

oh yeah, I'll be bringing my new Rem 700 in .223 and my new Beretta 12 ga auto. I've got a bunch of the Winchester white box ammo for the 223. 40 gr, Are these to light of a bullet for the yotes? I've got some 4 buck for the shotgun,i know thats heavy enough.

either weekend i wont be able to commit until closer to the hunt. i will do my best to make either weekend but the way things are at work this time of year i just dont know.plan on me though as you know ive been known to slip in at the last second
rolleyes.gif

Sounds like we're on for the 9th-10th!

I have a couple mouth calls that work well.

Keith the white label 40 grain ammo works great on dogs.

When shooting the buck shot don't get too tight of a choke as it will do bad things to the gun....I use IC or modified choke, it kills dogs out to 75 yards.

I can be in Hollister between 10-11 am Friday. Call all day Friday and Saturday and head home Saturday night. This is gonna be fun!

I checked and I do have 2 boxes (50 rounds) of 2 3/4 inch #4 buck loads. So if Tim or anybody want to bring their shotgun, too, no need to buy any more.

I think I will bring the mini-14, too - it should be fun on some closer shots!
wink.gif

Back