Caribou Gear Tarp

Choosing pack

fattybinz

Welp...my pack was stolen out of my garage last night with most of my stuff in it (spotter, tripods, adapters). The fuming stage is over and I've transitioned to looking at replacing everything. I had a mystery ranch pinter. I was really happy with it but it seemed to fill up very fast. It always seemed like with just a hammock, a few articles of clothing, kill bag and the it'd be difficult to close. I've looked at some of the bigger MR bags but I don't like him the style that only opens from the top. I really liked being able to open the front and get to stuff on the bottom. Any suggestions on packs with more volume that are that accessible? MR is what I know so I'll probably be sticking with them, but I guess I'm open to other brands. Thanks

The Sawtooth 45 might be exactly what you're looking for. Slightly bigger (by almost 250 cubic inches) than the Pintler, and doesn't just open from the top.

The Sawtooth 45 might be exactly what you're looking for. Slightly bigger (by almost 250 cubic inches) than the Pintler, and doesn't just open from the top.

Ooo that looks like a good one. I think a deal breaker is the lack of outside compartments for quick access to stuff like headlamps and other small things. I'm only on my phone now but I'm looking at the beartooth 80. Seems to have what I'm looking for. My one other complaint with the Pintler was just the one outside compartment. Two sounds really nice

Sorry about your luck. That happened to me a few years back 2 days before Christmas and a week before I had a New Mexico archery mule deer hunt. It sounds like you noticed the Beartooth 80. That is what I recently purchased and have been happy with so far. I haven't done any big hunts with it yet, just turkey hunting and hikes but like it. You'll notice you need to unbuckle a few straps in order to access the main compartment but i plan to put the things ill need the most in the outside pockets so I dont need to worry about it to often.

Just curious if the garage door was open? Also wondering if you live in an isolated area, or a neighborhood? If the latter, I would be looking at a neighborhood kid who saw the pack in your garage and decided to help themselves to it. Suppose it doesn't matter much at this point, but it would be nice to put the spotlight on a local thief so others don't suffer your fate.

Just curious if the garage door was open? Also wondering if you live in an isolated area, or a neighborhood? If the latter, I would be looking at a neighborhood kid who saw the pack in your garage and decided to help themselves to it. Suppose it doesn't matter much at this point, but it would be nice to put the spotlight on a local thief so others don't suffer your fate.

Garage door was open. One of my kids went to put something in the trash and didn't close it. It has been having trouble...so maybe he pressed the button and didn't stick around to see it close all the way. Its a suburban neighborhood. Used to be really safe but a few families have moved in recently that look a little sketch. I'm going to keep my eye on ksl (utah craigslist) and facebook marketplace but I've mostly just accepted it.

Sorry about your luck. That happened to me a few years back 2 days before Christmas and a week before I had a New Mexico archery mule deer hunt. It sounds like you noticed the Beartooth 80. That is what I recently purchased and have been happy with so far. I haven't done any big hunts with it yet, just turkey hunting and hikes but like it. You'll notice you need to unbuckle a few straps in order to access the main compartment but i plan to put the things ill need the most in the outside pockets so I dont need to worry about it to often.

From the looks of it, you also have to unbuckle the side straps to get to the inside? Why would they do that? so I'm going to have to unbuckle my tripods or walking sticks or rifle to get to the inside. Damn, that may be a deal breaker.

After looking at a lot of packs including the pintler, I am having Seek Outside make me a Peregrine that I think will funtionally work out to be a little bigger than the Pintler. My priorities are a little different than yours, however. SO sends me updates as my pack moves through the process. They certainly seem to be good at communicating. If the pack is half that good, I'll be set.

After looking at a lot of packs including the pintler, I am having Seek Outside make me a Peregrine that I think will funtionally work out to be a little bigger than the Pintler. My priorities are a little different than yours, however. SO sends me updates as my pack moves through the process. They certainly seem to be good at communicating. If the pack is half that good, I'll be set.

I love the tripod pocket on that thing. Let us know how that pack works out.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I decided to go with this pack. Ordering it tonight. Good amount of space, and I REALLY like that I can open up thecompartment withoutundoing a bunch of clips. I had to undo the front ones to get to open up the zipper on the pintler. If there was stuff being held by those straps then that was all undone. So now stuff strapped to the front, and the stuff strapped to the sides like tripods, will all be in place when I open it up. I like.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I decided to go with this pack. Ordering it tonight. Good amount of space, and I REALLY like that I can open up thecompartment withoutundoing a bunch of clips. I had to undo the front ones to get to open up the zipper on the pintler. If there was stuff being held by those straps then that was all undone. So now stuff strapped to the front, and the stuff strapped to the sides like tripods, will all be in place when I open it up. I like.
Glad I could help out. I love helping other people spend their money on sweet new gear. Try to keep this one. Haha!

If your liked the Pintler get Selway.....its the same pack but about 1/3 bigger. Add a
lid if you need even more room

Welp...my pack was stolen out of my garage last night with most of my stuff in it (spotter, tripods, adapters). The fuming stage is over and I've transitioned to looking at replacing everything. I had a mystery ranch pinter. I was really happy with it but it seemed to fill up very fast. It always seemed like with just a hammock, a few articles of clothing, kill bag and the it'd be difficult to close. I've looked at some of the bigger MR bags but I don't like him the style that only opens from the top. I really liked being able to open the front and get to stuff on the bottom. Any suggestions on packs with more volume that are that accessible? MR is what I know so I'll probably be sticking with them, but I guess I'm open to other brands. Thanks
Sorry to hear that. I hope that you reported it to the police/sheriff department. Best descriptions (to include dents, dings, initials, or something else on them) and serial numbers of items if you have them saved someplace. They probably don't have the time to do this, even if they do it might not hurt to take this step yourself. Often times these thefts are only to grab other peoples stuff so the person can then sell it and buy more drugs/alcohol. Take the time to phone every pawn shop in your local community and provide them with the descriptions and anything that might be used to identify these items as belonging to you. It really is worth taking the time to do this.

I have a Beartooth and they're nice but big. I've grown tired of having to unclip 2-3 buckles to access the main compartment but when full the pack sits great on me and it rides like a smaller pack.

I think the Selway or Metcalf would be optimal.

I also have a Gen 1 ExoMtnGear 3500 and it's great for smaller trips that I've started using for daytrips but that pack rides like it's too narrow and when full the shoulder straps dig into my side (like I said it's narrow).

I have a MR Metcalf and it can be opened from the draw string at the top or along the side for things that have been packed. The lid that comes along with it is a bonus for small items that need to be accessed for readily.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back