Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Children Preferance and bonus points

freu1chr

I know I am already getting ahead of myself but i am wondering at what age can you start buying bonus and preferance points for tags. My wife just gave birth to a baby boy yesterday, my new hunting buddy. I would assume most of it is when you are 12 and have your firearm safety, but was just wondering if there is any state i can start earlier?

It's 9 in Arizona. 9 in Oregon. 1 in Montana. Wyoming, Colorado and Utah are 12. No point systems in New Mexico, Idaho, and Alaska. I believe it's 12 in Nevada, too. Wouldn't worry about it in Washington or California.

Congrats on the little one!

The fact that this question needs to get asked is depressing as heck. With a 2 year old daughter and 2 week old son, I find myself looking into it as well, though.

Congrats on the little one!

The fact that this question needs to get asked is depressing as heck. With a 2 year old daughter and 2 week old son, I find myself looking into it as well, though.
Agreed. It is crazy and depressing. There have been a couple of threads here about whether or not it’s worth it for your kids. I won’t rehash, but yeah... it’s a head-scratcher, for sure. Congrats on the new arrivals!!! God’s gifts!

It's 9 in Arizona. 9 in Oregon. 1 in Montana. Wyoming, Colorado and Utah are 12. No point systems in New Mexico, Idaho, and Alaska. I believe it's 12 in Nevada, too. Wouldn't worry about it in Washington or California.

Arizona is only 9 when you apply the kid... cant buy a point at 9... can buy points when they are 10... as for the 9 thing, they have to be 10 by the time the hunt would start

Skip the points. Little to be gained and much to be lost. Your kid might not like hunting. Not worth the pressure and expectation on them, however well-intentioned.

One side of my family has participated in a disease benefit ride for decades. I was told I was expected to raise funds and ride by the time I was maybe 10 years old. The prospect was frightening and uncomfortable. Also, I didn't really have a concept for what riding bicycles had to do with curing some disease. Needless to say, I never participated, and it has been a kind of awkward tension between me and my extended family ever since.

If there wasn't all the hype, pressure, and complicated concepts experienced as a young kid, I probably would have gone on to participate in the ride on my own when I was ready.

Obviously many differences when compared to accumulating points for tough draws. But my experience was enough for me to swear off planning my own kid's future.

Skip the points. Little to be gained and much to be lost. Your kid might not like hunting. Not worth the pressure and expectation on them, however well-intentioned.

One side of my family has participated in a disease benefit ride for decades. I was told I was expected to raise funds and ride by the time I was maybe 10 years old. The prospect was frightening and uncomfortable. Also, I didn't really have a concept for what riding bicycles had to do with curing some disease. Needless to say, I never participated, and it has been a kind of awkward tension between me and my extended family ever since.

If there wasn't all the hype, pressure, and complicated concepts experienced as a young kid, I probably would have gone on to participate in the ride on my own when I was ready.

Obviously many differences when compared to accumulating points for tough draws. But my experience was enough for me to swear off planning my own kid's future.

Agree is best to be focusing on what the tikes like as they get older. I started my kids out fishing where was fast and furious though very small fish. Started out shooting at tin cans. Started hunting with spring turkey in a double bull blind where they could nap or play with a GameBoy without screwing up the hunt but spring into action if a tom was gobbling or moving in on the decoys. My dad loved baseball. I preferred basketball and golf. I had a lot of pressure to focus on baseball. I tell my kids when they ask if they should do something strategic such as the major at college or which job offer to take and I always start out saying, "I lived my life so will not try to live my life again through dictating choices to you." Then I ask what they are thinking as they are considering the options. Often, no right answer anyway but rather I focus on helping frame the decision process.

Buying points is fine if are willing to smile as your kid walks away from the points. Otherwise, put the money in a career fund for their college or supporting what they want to do after high school.

Arizona is only 9 when you apply the kid... cant buy a point at 9... can buy points when they are 10... as for the 9 thing, they have to be 10 by the time the hunt would start
You’re exactly right. I applied my 9-year-olds for Strip buck tags, early rifle elk, antelope & sheep tags. Same thing as applying for points. 🤣

Illinois law states youth hunter is anyone under 18. Anyone under 16 needs to be accompanied by an adult .
NO MINIMUM AGE. And no need for a point system you draw a tag if you apply. Plenty of deer to kill .

So get him through the hunters safety course and bring him hear To shot a whitetail .
My 8 year old nephew got his first doe last year with a youth 20 gauge .

I had three boys. Owned land and took them all archery 3D shooting in their youth. Took them all fishing every year, and always offered to take them hunting with me. Never forced them. Only one showed some interest. I took him a few times but he lost interest. All three were more interested in video games. I did buy points for them in WY when points were only $8, but dumped them all when they jacked prices. My sons are now 30-35 and none hunt, nor are interested. Don't assume you have a lil huntin buddy. At today's point prices, I think it's a monumental risk of funds. Better to invest that coin in education.

Back