Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Cheat Grass...

ELKCHSR

Well Buzz, you were right about it being pretty much every where. The only thing that would have helped last year is if you would have told me that the areas that this stuff is in shows up better this time of year because of the color difference, compared to in the summer and fall when it matches in at a distance with every thing else that is tan or brown...
On my trip back up from Ut. after meeting up with Tyler, I could see where the hills in the distance were pink with the stuff...
smile.gif

Does cheat grass grow mostly in areas that are over grazed? And isn't easily killed out by native grasses when they recover?

Just wondering

Ivan

Cheat grass grows in disturbed areas, whether it's from overgrazing, fire, excessive OHV use, etc. It actually keeps native grasses from recovering in these areas and has almost no nutritional value for cows or wildlife.

Others here could go into more detail for you.

Oh yeah, it's a real pain in the ass to get out of your socks.

Oak

Cheatgrass is a GREAT forage for the 4-6 weeks that it is green. It dries earlier in the summer, causing areas to be more fire prone. More frequent fires (caused by the cheatgrass) reduce the amount of native shrubs and perennial grasses. There are a few areas, mostly those that are wetter, where the native grasses can reinvade. Modifying grazing and herbicide use can help in some areas, but in others it occasionally works or not at all because of available water. The biggest problem in UT with cheatgrass is that it is deteriorating large areas of winter range.

My point was, a range manager told me that intense grazing early, with extremely light to no grazing late, should result in impacting the cheat grass, but allowing the native bunch grass to recover.

Herbicides are effective in areas were the rainfall will not wash it away right away.

1-P, sounds like a good case for fire suppression.
biggrin.gif

Ten- That grazing regime can help re-habilitate an area, but it usually requires that it recieves 14+" of precip. A new herbicide is out that looks VERY promising, Plateau.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back