Yeti GOBOX Collection

Chambering problems

All I had to do was reset the seating die. Simple fix. Thanks for your help guys!
I would also posit that your seating die is messed up because if you'd ever want to use the crimp feature with a cannelured bullet you might have similar problems. If you can beg borrow or steal as they say 1 or 2 bullets with a cannelure [Hornady bullets have a generous cannelure IIRC] I would take a properly resized case with NO PRIMER and with the die backed out one full turn seat a bullet to nearly the top of the cannelure. Next I would back out the seat stem and screw the die down until it contacts the shellholder. Put the seated dummy round in and run it up into the die and see if it crimps the bullet. If the crimped round won't chamber I'd consider contacting the maker and sending it back. If you don't intend to ever use the crimp feature it may be a moot point. But still if it isn't right............

I would also posit that your seating die is messed up because if you'd ever want to use the crimp feature with a cannelured bullet you might have similar problems. If you can beg borrow or steal as they say 1 or 2 bullets with a cannelure [Hornady bullets have a generous cannelure IIRC] I would take a properly resized case with NO PRIMER and with the die backed out one full turn seat a bullet to nearly the top of the cannelure. Next I would back out the seat stem and screw the die down until it contacts the shellholder. Put the seated dummy round in and run it up into the die and see if it crimps the bullet. If the crimped round won't chamber I'd consider contacting the maker and sending it back. If you don't intend to ever use the crimp feature it may be a moot point. But still if it isn't right............
I ran into his problem a lot in my early days of reloading and it was never the die's fault. Never hurts to check, though

I ran into his problem a lot in my early days of reloading and it was never the die's fault. Never hurts to check, though
I’ve found the RCBS YouTube videos to be terrific for learning, refreshing memory. I know there’s one video where the guy says just that. “Customer’s contact us saying the die doesn’t…”

Love the 338 Win
Simple just adjust your sizer die down 1/4 turn until brass loads great into your rifle . Doing this sets the shoulder back just a tad for easy loading .
This and what you end up doing is moving the headspace pretty much away from the belt and to the shoulder! I've never seen a cartridge do what you talking about but I would take a look at the bullet ogive looking for scratch's indicating the bullet is touching the lands when you origionally loaded them. I think the bullet should not be seated so it touch's the lands at any time. Did you try chambering them all? Could be you have one you simply shorted seating and if your close to the lands, left one or more simply to long. If when trying them origionally and only cycling one round I'd guess that could happen. I only know of two things that can stop a round from chambering. case not resized properly or bullet seated to long. Something to remember about factory rounds is that they are made to fit in the chamber of all guns for that cartridge, What I believe is best for handloading is a cartridge that fit's the chamber of the rifle it'll be used in.

after resizing brass try loading a empty case in the rifle. If it loads easy then the brass is not the problem. Normally I load all my 338 win to recommend length COAL in loading manuals.

Been thinking and wondering how full the case is with powder. Have read that to slow a powder will over fill the case and when you seat the bullet it will compress the powder. Leave it sit awhile and the powder will move the bullet back out itself by moving to remove the pressure! I have personnaly never had that happen but then I always load to less than 100% capacity! Look in a charged case and if the powder is right to the intersection of the neck and body, try tapping the side of the case with a pencil a bit. if your using a stick powder it will settle the powder in the csae some and lower it in the case. If the powder is going past the intersection of the shoulder and the neck you are probably compressing the powder and that may be the problem. Load to the powder so that is does not fill the case beyond the junction of the body and the shoulder and that could eliminate the problem.

The problem is simple, sounds to me like the bullet is moving after being loaded. The answer just may be a case to full of powder! Seem's everything I've read about this it generally only happen's with a powder that is to slow for the case you are using. Powder relieves pressure on itself and push's the bullet into the lands, might not chamber!

Been thinking and wondering how full the case is with powder. Have read that to slow a powder will over fill the case and when you seat the bullet it will compress the powder. Leave it sit awhile and the powder will move the bullet back out itself by moving to remove the pressure! I have personnaly never had that happen but then I always load to less than 100% capacity! Look in a charged case and if the powder is right to the intersection of the neck and body, try tapping the side of the case with a pencil a bit. if your using a stick powder it will settle the powder in the csae some and lower it in the case. If the powder is going past the intersection of the shoulder and the neck you are probably compressing the powder and that may be the problem. Load to the powder so that is does not fill the case beyond the junction of the body and the shoulder and that could eliminate the problem.

The problem is simple, sounds to me like the bullet is moving after being loaded. The answer just may be a case too full of powder! Seem's everything I've read about this it generally only happen's with a powder that is to slow for the case you are using. Powder relieves pressure on itself and push's the bullet into the lands, might not chamber!
I think this is how we get the OP to blow up a gun? But seriously, If this is a thing with compressed loads, I’ve not yet had the opportunity to use a slow enough powder. Full resize, max trim case, drop tube, crimp should keep a bullet in place.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back