Central Florida Newbie Hunter

Kabrante

New to Deer Hunting and looking for someone to show me the ropes. Let me know if you are in central Florida and need a hunting partner

Thank you! I been Boar hunting and have experience there, just never been deer hunting, got my permit, willing to learn if someone had the time

Thank you! I been Boar hunting and have experience there, just never been deer hunting, got my permit, willing to learn if someone had the time
Welcome!!!! i am new hunter and new to the forum as well, never hunted before but the good thing is i can shot but is very hard trying to find a mentor that can show you the ropes unless you pay somebody $1,500 for a day really sucks....i am in the medical field and non of my friends hunt which makes it worse but FYI i found a non profit organization called thefutureofhunting.org they hunt at Gulf Hammock North of Tampa is for new hunters only you donate $50 to the organization and experienced hunters show you the ropes for a weekend. i already signed up for it they got kids and adult hunts next adult hunt is November 8 thru 10th all you need is your safety course card, rifle, tent and your hunting gear .... they will provide food as well check it out they are on facebook .....that will be my first hunt so i am very excited....Have a good one

Welcome!!!! i am new hunter and new to the forum as well, never hunted before but the good thing is i can shot but is very hard trying to find a mentor that can show you the ropes unless you pay somebody $1,500 for a day really sucks....i am in the medical field and non of my friends hunt which makes it worse but FYI i found a non profit organization called thefutureofhunting.org they hunt at Gulf Hammock North of Tampa is for new hunters only you donate $50 to the organization and experienced hunters show you the ropes for a weekend. i already signed up for it they got kids and adult hunts next adult hunt is November 8 thru 10th all you need is your safety course card, rifle, tent and your hunting gear .... they will provide food as well check it out they are on facebook .....that will be my first hunt so i am very excited....Have a good one

Thank You JJ,
this is what I came to this thread for. Great to see that there are still mentor-ship programs out there.
I contacted the email and hopefully will see if there is availability in January for me and i will sign up.

thanks again for reaching out.

Man, you live in a really cool part of the country! I lived there for a year in the early 2000's. I didn't hunt but I really enjoyed exploring some of the trails around the Ocala NF. It doesn't surprise me that finding other like minded folks would be tougher there. There is a south east chapter of BHA...there have been some guys on here sharing deer hunting stories as well. Best of luck and please share with us!

The south east chapter of BHA is pretty active in Florida. They even have a group squirrel hunt planned in a few months. I suggest to most people to start with small game and learn from there. If you have facebook there are a lot of people from Florida on the southeast BHA posting stories and events.

I am no longer in FL but lived there for a while. I can give you advice on places to go, how to hunt, trees for stands etc. Good luck and remember, there will always be people willing to help if you are willing to listen and learn. Hunting skills (IMO) are learned and earned over time).

From my last hunt, looked up some videos in making ground meat and sausage.
I’m learning, that’s for sure!

Attachments

• 0FC21279-D43F-49A6-B1D6-4801EDFA7F30.jpeg
    0FC21279-D43F-49A6-B1D6-4801EDFA7F30.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • 3D0B4C6D-6811-4394-9E65-07FA28BA6DA0.jpeg
    3D0B4C6D-6811-4394-9E65-07FA28BA6DA0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • A20580FD-5068-43E2-9521-C16A97D9E6EA.jpeg
    A20580FD-5068-43E2-9521-C16A97D9E6EA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Thank You JJ,
this is what I came to this thread for. Great to see that there are still mentor-ship programs out there.
I contacted the email and hopefully will see if there is availability in January for me and i will sign up.

thanks again for reaching out.
Awesome bro....happy hunting

New to Deer Hunting and looking for someone to show me the ropes. Let me know if you are in central Florida and need a hunting partner
Advice depends on what you did and know now. There is a lot to discuss about clothes, firearms, timing to go to hunt. How much do you want to pay to an outfitter. What states are good to hunt in and others you'll waste your time and money. I have hunted in 6 states and New Foundland as well as first trying florida. Also you have to be very careful if you have people with you, if you want to hunt with a buddy is reliable and that you can count on him to save your life if your out there in the woods. Booze and hunting is a dangerous combo. To me the biggest most enjoyable part of the hunt is going with a buddy, sharing the road cost , chewing the fat and solving all the worlds problems. Can your buddy do first aid, cook, make sense of situations.

The icing on the cake is shooting a deer. Start first with the caliber of gun you want and scope. Spraying your clothes down and shoes to hide your scent. I've seen and heard when a deer smelled my prints in the woods.
It happens and I have heard them sound off on me when they caught a look at me in the woods. Use a bow with lights, saw what happen the second I turned it , a deer caught me and sounded off. On the way to the stand and from it, seeing the biggest deer of your life with an empty chamber in your rifle. Finally hearing a beer breathing around your wooded blind on the ground and only a 12 gauge wire securing the door. Carry a bear gun in the woods? I do now. Raging Judge, shoots 454 casual and 410 and 45 long. 45 is not good enough.
Clothes, first aid kit, head lamp, knife, tripod, emergency meal and water. If you get lost in the wood are you prepared to spend the night. Should you carry a back pact or go light. Very easy to get lost in the dark. Bow, Crossbow, fire starter, snake proof boots. Snake proof pants. Shooting gloves, face cover. Calls to use, scents to use, do you even need calls. So where do we start at. To discuss all of the this in this format would take for ever. So what do you want to do?

Back