NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Caribou report unit 23

northwestalaska

Well for you guys who are not here yet the animals are! I talked to a Park Service Law Enforcement buddy yesterday and here is the report! The animals ar pouring in by the thousands into the drainages to the north of the Noatak River,. They checked camps in The Kuggorok, Nimmi and Kelly and all camps near the top end had animals. I have 2 groups out in those drainages now and one group has filled tags and are heading home happy. The daytime temps are high up near the mid 60’s and night temps are in the mid 40’s. Be careful with meat spoilage guys!

We have lots of Law Enforcement up her right now and they will be here through the end of September. Keep your self on the right side of the law! Keep your meat on the bone and evidence of sex attached.

I am getting pumped and will be heading into the Kobuk Drainage (Noorvik) next weekend and up into the lower Noatak week 3 so I will be looking for you guys out there! If you need equipment call me after 7pm as I am hopping busy right now or do the e-mail thing.

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet for Rafts, Canoes and Camp rentals
www.northwestalaska.com
907-442-3944
Kotzebue, Alaska

For those headed to Unit 26A, stay home or go somewhere else. The herd has, for some reason known only to them, has moved way west. We spent 7 days floating and saw only sparse numbers but a few huge bulls. Out of 12 hunters we took 8 bulls, not good considering we had hoped to be right in the thick of the herd. We talked to a bio in Umiat and he said for the first time in 30 years the herd had moved way west of where they normally would be. Sounds like NWA has them up his way in huge numbers, should be a good year up that way.

AK Bear Hunter:

Sorry to hear that your float hunt was less than you had hoped for> Yes we have the animals as out herd size is pushing 540,000 right now. Just the shear numbers will put you in the caribou up here but it is important to remember that those pesky caribou don’t follow the same migration paths every year. I have seen a noticeable change in the timing of the migration over the past 4 years. We are seeing warmer falls and later freeze-ups each year. The thing to always remember is hunting anywhere is just that hunting, no guarantees. Unit 23 offers more animals than any one else so your chances are greater up here. Also doing a float hunt also increases your odds as you can cover a lot of country if needed. Planning will be your best weapon up here as the country is huge and elements are unforgiving. Never scrimp on a hunt up here because your equipment is what keeps you safe and comfortable.

If you need assistance in planning a successful hunt in Northwest Alaska give me a call or e-mail as we are in the middle of the 07 hunt but I am booking 08 and 09 hunts now.

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back