MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Canvas Tents ?

802flyfish

My wife and I are looking to purchase a canvas tent that we can use through out the year for hunting & fishing. I would said 80% of the time will be the two of us plus our small dog but I would like to have the ability to fit 3 people. With that being said is there a particular size and brand you'd suggest ?

Hunting tent You can take a look at this Pomoly HEX Canvas Hot Tent.
This is a Tipi canvas tent, strong and durable.
Canvas tents are generally not easy to clean. I usually recommend 300D Oxford cloth hunting tents that are as durable as canvas tents. This tent has a good thermal performance, and it is used in winter during the very time.
The top and bottom vents and the double-door design make this tent a durable four-season hunting tent.
For tents used by two or three people, I would recommend a four-person tent or a six-person tent, which will be more comfortable.
Hope this information is helpful to you.

We have a Springbar 10x14 Family camper for more casual and shorter weekend family outings. It fits the four of us just fine. I have also used it by myself for slightly longer solo hunts. For two people, a 10x10 should be fine of something in that tent type.

Foe longer and colder hunts, I have a 12x14 wall tent with wood stove which has been good. I dont recall the brand very well, but my dad bought it used 20 b years ago. It has been up for extended periods with no problems. It was up last winter from the first weekend in November until the first weekend in March. I will set it up next month again and hopefully leave it until April if possible.

Good luck. 20191228_103548.jpg20191127_142455.jpg

12x14-or 16 would be about right. I have one from Montana canvas. Easy set up, roomy enough to live in if the weather is crappy.

Another vote for a 12x14 Davis wall tent. It will fit 3 with gear comfortably. It's a palace for two!

Attachments

• IMG_5310.JPG
    IMG_5310.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
I run a 15x18 Davis Wall tent also we fit 4 pretty comfortable with all our hunting gear. Davis makes a great tent I highly recommend them

I agree with the size of 12x14 for two people. I purchased a tent that is 14x16 and absolutely love it. Lots of room for up to 4 people plus gear. I purchased it from https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/canvas-hunting-tents.
Great people to work with and helped me after the sale. I bought the internal frame kit also. I am not in anyway sponsored by this company also. Just thought I'd post to give another option.

I have and use a 10' X 14' Kodiak Canvas tent (similar to the Springbar tents mentioned above) which I have been very happy with. During the colder months I use a Big Buddy heater inside to take the chill off. The only reservation I would have is if you are planning on doing a lot of camping in the snow as the roof is more or less flat and wouldn't shed the snow during a storm. Other than that, 10/10 would recommend.

+1 for Davis - they are SUPER helpful and will walk you through all your questions with years of experience - we love our 16x20, but we have 4-6 guys in ours.. I hear good things about Denver tents too.

Good information we are also in process of looking for a canvas tent . The Davis look great.

I appreciate all the suggestions and feed back. My wife and I are leaning towards the Davis complete Antelope tent package (12x14).

I see they offer two treatments-

mildew, water.
&
mildew, water and Fire.

Is the added fire treatment worth the extra $180 bucks?

I see that it also comes the Valley stove which is the smallest stove they offer. Would y’all recommend upgrading stove top their ridge model? It’s only a 70$ dollar charge.

With all the upgrades,

Windows Upgrade ($118.00):
Add 2 additional windows - 1 on each side
Stove Upgrade ($70.00):
The Ridge (Medium)
$1,868.00

I appreciate all the suggestions and feed back. My wife and I are leaning towards the Davis complete Antelope tent package (12x14).

I see they offer two treatments-

mildew, water.
&
mildew, water and Fire.

Is the added fire treatment worth the extra $180 bucks?

I see that it also comes the Valley stove which is the smallest stove they offer. Would y’all recommend upgrading stove top their ridge model? It’s only a 70$ dollar charge.

With all the upgrades,

Windows Upgrade ($118.00):
Add 2 additional windows - 1 on each side
Stove Upgrade ($70.00):
The Ridge (Medium)
$1,868.00
The antelope package is exactly what I bought from Davis, and I love it. The ridge stove has worked great in single digit temperatures. When I talked to them over the phone before ordering, they talked me out of the fire resistant coating and gave me three more angles for shorter, stronger ridge poles to resist snow. Call them and talk about what you’ll use it for, they’re great folks to talk to.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a canvas tent that we can use through out the year for hunting & fishing. I would said 80% of the time will be the two of us plus our small dog but I would like to have the ability to fit 3 people. With that being said is there a particular size and brand you'd suggest ?

In my opinion it starts and ends with Davis Tents. Top notch tents, top notch service, and if you wait for the sales, really good prices.

Montana Canvas 12x17 has served me well for 10 years. Very comfortable for 3 people.

Attachments

• 2019 Hunt.jpg
    2019 Hunt.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 8
Well I called Montana Canvas and Davis and they are fairly backed up right now. I heard Davis has some pretty good sales so I might wait till I find one at a good price.

Appreciate all the suggestions.

Well I called Montana Canvas and Davis and they are fairly backed up right now. I heard Davis has some pretty good sales so I might wait till I find one at a good price.

Appreciate all the suggestions.
My understanding is the best pricing season for these is the winter sportsman show season - Jan-March.

This is a 12 x 14 canvas tent made by an excellent company that is no longer making tents. Ideal for 2 people but definitely doable for 3. Chuck box and propane cooking stove is out sight to the right. Hope this helps.

Bill

Attachments

• 41F6576E-13B4-4739-B0F9-7051D6B67D0A.JPG
    41F6576E-13B4-4739-B0F9-7051D6B67D0A.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 25
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2