Caribou Gear Tarp

Canadian Wild Pig Invasion

That completely makes sense. I haven't hunted for pigs anywhere other than Florida and that's just how it seems down here.
Yeah most landowners in my area aren’t letting anyone hunt unless they already know you. Having outsiders in to hunt is not worth the headache it would cause them, especially with how ineffective they would be. Hunting truly wild pigs in the thickets down here isn’t nearly as easy as the high fence canned hunt type places make it seem on TV. They’ve got better noses than a whitetail IMO and once pressured a little bit go almost completely nocturnal very quickly.

People monetizing them is definitely perpetuating the problem. I for one would flip the switch, wave the magic wand, sprinkle magic fairy dust or whatever it takes to be rid of them in an instant.

Yeah most landowners in my area aren’t letting anyone hunt unless they already know you. Having outsiders in to hunt is not worth the headache it would cause them, especially with how ineffective they would be. Hunting truly wild pigs in the thickets down here isn’t nearly as easy as the high fence canned hunt type places make it seem on TV. They’ve got better noses than a whitetail IMO and once pressured a little bit go almost completely nocturnal very quickly.

People monetizing them is definitely perpetuating the problem. I for one would flip the switch, wave the magic wand, sprinkle magic fairy dust or whatever it takes to be rid of them in an instant.

Me too, in a heartbeat.

Rinella has talked about pigs several times on his podcast. Whenever he has someone on that's involved in the industry in any way (trapper, landowner, etc.) he always like to ask the question (paraphrased), "If I gave you a magic wand right now and said that if you wave that wand all wild hogs in your area would disappear immediately, would you do it?" To the best of my recollection, all guests have opted not to wave the theoretical wand. That reasoning typically seems to involve the economical impact on those that work in the industry, effect on the local economy, etc.

All in all, I don't buy that they are as much of a nuisance as people say. If they are really devastating to one's way of life, you'd be trying to get rid of them any way you could, not charging $200/hog (plus trophy fees of course). I'd think you'd spend some money on a few feeders and bait and open the gates to a 5-acre section of your property every Saturday/Sunday or so and say "have at 'em!" You might not kill enough to matter but you might make them shy. Obviously I'm coming from a place of at least a little bit of ignorance since I don't own land and don't live in any of the areas y'all are talking about right now. But I see what's going on down here in Florida and I don't buy the "nuisance" argument. Wild pigs are a money crop for people down here.

I’d also like to point out that when Rinella asks his magic wand question, he usually isn’t asking the land owner, the guys and gals footing the bills, who’s assets are being damaged. Very few ranchers make enough back on hogs to offset the damage they do.

I’d also like to point out that when Rinella asks his magic wand question, he usually isn’t asking the land owner, the guys and gals footing the bills, who’s assets are being damaged. Very few ranchers make enough back on hogs to offset the damage they do.

Bet they do, when it comes time for crop damage insurance to be figured. They get paid!
It's a system, whether you like it or not, their playing the system.

Bet they do, when it comes time for crop damage insurance to be figured. They get paid!

If you say so. I’ve never collected a dime for the damage they’ve done in my grazing pasture, or my hay fields, but I’m sure the crop farmers collect some insurance...for which they pay. Ask them if they’d rather harvest their hard work, or play some system involving hogs, and I’ll bet I can foretell their answer.

That completely makes sense. I haven't hunted for pigs anywhere other than Florida and that's just how it seems down here.

It's very much this way in California, we have a much different circumstance as most pigs are out on land with cattle and not crops. Right now you're lucky to find a hog hunt for under $700. Last year a bill sought to put more ranches into our SHARE program (private access) because "pigs are devistating" hunters called bullshit on them pretty quick and killed the bill.

All it did was take our money and given it to them and would have done nothing to solve any damage issues. They have a full bag of tools at their disposal, and everyone knows recreational hunting wont do jack for a wild pigs.

When I lived in Upper MI we had a hog farm release a bunch of Russian boars being raised for the high fence business. They never took off and within a few years were gone.
Mid MI also had the same sort of releases and they did become established, but the numbers are not huge and are not growing like they do in the south.
Given this I doubt you will see the impact on MT that hogs have had on the south.

Most crop insurance covers their inputs and is a break even deal. It only refunds the money spent but the whole season is wasted time with no income. There are some that pay better but it’s just like Vegas. HOUSE WINS

Out of three traps today we caught 2 pigs in one trap. They tore out of the two corral traps. When we were driving to go build another corral trap on someone else’s place we saw a big sow that was hit on the road last night. Hate to see what that vehicle looks like.
It really is an invasion of pigs at this point with guerilla tactics. Haven’t killed any young ones even though there is plenty around. Total local kill count is 30 and a long ways to go.

It really is an invasion of pigs at this point with guerilla tactics. Haven’t killed any young ones even though there is plenty around. Total local kill count is 30 and a long ways to go.

One item that I have noted regarding landowners who are allowing people come on out to "help control the population"...... seems like they should be asking the hunters to be targeting every pig, but especially the sows. That doesn't seem to be a part of the discussion.

They might reproduce at the same rate but the survival rate is drastically different I suspect. Since they do not have a breeding season that is in sync and can breed and drop piglets year round my guess is that only the litters that are born late spring/early summa will survive and Winterborn piglets will die. They are all over northern Europe so they are obviously pretty adaptable for the cold.
Down here in Texas, a sow will have a litter of 8, and 12 of them will survive.:oops:

You cannot compare Canada and US in this example. No night hunting and a ridiculous set of regulations limit hunter impact.

Wild hog won't last a week in Eastern MT, and the wolves will take care of the West.

Most crop insurance covers their inputs and is a break even deal. It only refunds the money spent but the whole season is wasted time with no income. There are some that pay better but it’s just like Vegas. HOUSE WINS

If it wasn't worth the investment "farmers" wouldn't do it. It's a system, people play the game.

If it wasn't worth the investment "farmers" wouldn't do it. It's a system, people play the game.
Of course it’s worth it recoup your losses. Why would you just eat that loss? They don’t make money on crop insurance.

They don’t make money on crop insurance.

Do they get more money then what they paid for the policy? Then they make money on it.
Also when the government subsidizes an average of 62% of the premiums on crop insurance.

Back