Can we just put HuntTalk forums behind a login?

Egregious? There are companies that sell a lot of that basic info. Why are we so against sharing info with others? Eventually someone will program an AI with the goal of spreading disinformation on a unit. Then we won't know what to believe.
I'm not sure if the greater risk to this sport is the sharing info or the refusal to share info.

Well, for one I assume we all agree that hunting is about the entire process and pursuit. I am not against, nor did I insinuate, sharing info with others. Thats what friends, family, locals, etc. do. Doing it online is gross, you dont know me or the thousands of randoms googling unit X trailhead info, for example.

I am nothing but polite running into hunters in the same basin or drainage I am in. I always will turn the other way and give it to them after conversation. What I got issues with is posting this stuff online further crowding specific areas with people who didnt burn boot leather, take time away from family and work, to find these places on their own. If folks want to PM on forums that is at least more admirable.

The companies you speak of are also a problem. Tag hub services, scouting services, geotagging on SM, is all ironic dumb behavior that isnt helping hunting.

Just my opinion. I find generally those who disagree are trying to become insta famous like people. So its going to be offensive to them naturally. (Not directed at you)

I read HT daily. But rarely post. I've likely had a handle here for over a year, and doubt I have a hundred posts. I guess paywall for me?

How many of you have ever googled for things like where to eat in a certain city or what to see on a certain vacation, what is the best caliber for deer/elk, best binos.....etc...etc...? You realize that information took those people lots of boot on the ground or trips to figure out, right? So are you saying that information should only open to certain people? Someone asking or googling units is exactly the same thing and seriously, those tags take 5-10 years to get most of the time.

Example...You want to go on your first and possibly only ever trip to Europe, it's costs a good chunk of change, you have waited 5-10 years to do it saving all you could to make it possible. You want the most out of this trip so you use all the means to you to get as much information as possible, seeing you have never been there with boot on the ground. You using this information will make that place you choose more busy as well, just like a unit, but you used the exact method to plan that trip of a lifetime you are saying should not be available here and we should put up a brick wall?

Bringing this back to the top. Seeing more and more posts that are just ChatGPT responses to prompts based on posts from this site. I believe putting this behind a login will help with some of this.
That @William Christy bot is way out there. Next thing you know it will be posting links to eye burning naked pictures.

The thing is, I can pretty much tell where Randy is in 50% of his colorado hunts, and have figured it out in quite a few of his wyoming hunts. Hunting spots are never going to be secret again, haven't been since we figured out how to use Google earth. All of my old elk spots in AZ are overrun with hunters now, I can't find those spots mentioned in any Google searches I do. I think any decent spots are going to be crowded these days, there's just too many resources online that anyone can use to figure out where they are.

How many of you have ever googled for things like where to eat in a certain city or what to see on a certain vacation, what is the best caliber for deer/elk, best binos.....etc...etc...? You realize that information took those people lots of boot on the ground or trips to figure out, right? So are you saying that information should only open to certain people? Someone asking or googling units is exactly the same thing and seriously, those tags take 5-10 years to get most of the time.

Example...You want to go on your first and possibly only ever trip to Europe, it's costs a good chunk of change, you have waited 5-10 years to do it saving all you could to make it possible. You want the most out of this trip so you use all the means to you to get as much information as possible, seeing you have never been there with boot on the ground. You using this information will make that place you choose more busy as well, just like a unit, but you used the exact method to plan that trip of a lifetime you are saying should not be available here and we should put up a brick wall?
Really good point.
Come to think of it....one of reasons forums exist.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back