Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Camera Tripod

Dooger

I hunt solo and need a lightweight tripod that can be extended over 1’ tall grass...maybe taller...for after-the-kill photos. I’ve used a few of the cheaper ones (<$15) and they are junk. Looking for quality.

I do need it to be light and compact for backpacking and have a ball head.

Anybody?

I don't have much experience with tripods. But I found myself in the market for one recently. I had some requirements: It had to be at least 60" tall at max height, it had to be able to handle a good bit of weight(over 10 lbs), as lightweight as I could find given the first two requirements, and budget friendly.

I'll not asking for much right? I ended up choosing an Innorel RT-80c. It's a 65mm bowl top tripod with four-sectioned carbon fiber legs. It has a max height of 63", advertised weight is 3.3 lbs(I haven't weighed mine), it's rated to 44 lbs max load, it packs down to 21.6"(I didn't measure mine), and it's available for about $189. There are places that offer a kit with the tripod and a ball head for around $200 if you'd rather use that than the leveling base it comes with.

My impressions of it are very good. It feels sturdy and durable. I was actually able to hang off of it with it at max height with no problem(attempt at your own risk). I was really surprised how light it is for the weight it can support. Time will tell how well it's made and I plan to use it a lot this hunting season.

Is it overkill for your requirements? Absolutely. Is it a great value? I believe so. I recommend you spend a lot of time looking at B&H Photo Video and figure out what works best for you. If you can swing the price the carbon fiber models can give you some weight savings. Happy hunting and let us know what you decide on!

I just ordered the Sirui ET-1204. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't really give you a report but its carbon fiber material and flip-lock leg system is what attracted me to this tripod.

Sirui was high on my list of candidates. In the end I decided a bowl top was what I wanted.

I use a TRACKS trekking pole that has a camera mount built into it. The mount has a round wooden ball handle covering it for hiking and easily screws off. It comes with a rubber pad on the foot that comes off and exposes a pointed metal tip to stab into the ground.

I found a very compact tripod that holds my phone. I’ll see if I can find a name for you.

See my post. Honestly it's the best crappy tripod out there.

I bought an Oben 3535 carbon fiber tripod last year. It is very compact and fairly lightweight and I like it better than the aluminum Gitzo I used to carry.

This year, I replaced the stock ballhead with a Sirui VA-5 panhead. The ball head is great for photos, but the panhead is awesome for binos or a spotter.

The Oben might be more tripod than you need but it seems to be quite a step up from the little Slik tripod I have.
24E04720-9A90-4A80-813B-81291658C9EE.jpeg

Thought about something like that. Vanguard actually makes a tripod shooting rest like that and has a 1/4” camera screw. I’d just need to add a cheap ball head for the camera. I thinks it’s the T62U model.

Something like that might work well for you. It appears to be very lightweight and versatile, being able to use it as a rifle rest, tripod, bipod, or a monopod. And the price is such that if you used it and decided you needed something else you're not out much.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back