Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

california x10 deer zone

redduck

Hello,

i just got a x-10 tag in California. I am a excellent duck hunter, but a novice at deer hunting. I plan on do a backpack hunt, and i believe i have all the necessary gear. My question to the forum is what is the best piece of gear you use on a deer hunt out west that has helped save your trip? It can be anything from duck tape to rifle scopes. Also, how early is to early to start scouting for deer?

Best,
Redduck

rifle and I am not familiar with the area. I plan on scouting three times for a overnight camping trip. so a trip mid-July-august- September I heard there is good trout fishing up there. I have never had a successful western deer hunt so I plan on working hard this year.

You will learn a bunch if you spend that time up there. Learn the logistics stuff like travel times and camp spots. You can learn a bunch about behavior too but everything changes in October. As far as gear, bios are hard to beat

I also drew an X-10 tag this year, but for the archery season. Ive been doing a lot of "online scouting" with google earth and calling forest rangers, which is a start but nothing like actual field work. Ill be scouting a few days before the season opens (8/19), and then obviously hunt for a few days, but I'll send any info I can gather your way!

cool thank you for the help.. I am planing a trip out to x-10 on august 31-September 2 for scouting if your up we should link up.

I also have a tag for X10 and will be heading up there for some scouting soon. Since I've already had my 70th birthday I'll be looking for that magic moment when the monster buck steps out of the brush right near the road. Anybody got any clues where that will be?

I was in the unit for the archery opener for deer and bear. We put on many miles with full backpacking set ups, and the only legal bucks we saw were the four on the day before the season opener in camp haha. We saw a ton of does, mostly down low, but found a recent fawn kill up on brown mountain, as well a single fawn, some old bear scat, but nothing else. It was a lot of fun, but my struggle to find antlers this season continues back to the AO tag... We were told by a road hunter that someone had shot a 28" 5x5 a few miles down, but not many details were given. Best of luck to everyone else!

Im returning to Calif to hunt this year and am looking at X10. Never looked in the area before. I have some ideas, but does anyone know where they migrate late Oct/Nov?

Back