California hog hunt

bigtusker

For all the guys that are coming to the June 7th-9th hunt, you will need to bring ice chests to keep your food in. The cabin has no electricity or refrigerator. It does have propane lighting throughout but a flashlight is recommeded if you gotta take a leak in the middle of the night. As time draws near, I'll provide directions via email to each of you. Send an email to [email protected] and when I get them all, I'll send out the directions and where we will be meeting. If it is o.k. with everyone, I'd like to be up to the ranch by noon on Friday, so that means arriving in Hollister no later than 11 a.m.
Any questions, fire away!
Chopper

p.s. I drink what I shoot, Silver Bullets!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05-07-2002 19:47: Message edited by: bigtusker ]</font>

Sounds like a good time will be had by all. I'm stoked! I sent you an e-mail so you have my address. Being in Hollister around 11:00 works great for me.

T-Bone

Didn't you say you had a walk-in cooler for the hogs?

Is there a stove, or is it outdoor cooking?

Just in case, do you have a quad? (or does anyone plan on bringing one?)

I'll have to leave by 4 AM to make it by 11! :eek:

I do have a walk-in cooler for hogs. It holds about 8 comfortably. Only problem is it's about 2 miles from my house where the walk-in is to the cabin. I also have an ice machine but it is not big enough to support a large group for several days. If everyone brings ice in their chests to begin with, we should be o.k.
The cabin has a gas stove & oven. A Weber grill outside and a propane bar-b-q if I get the new burner installed by then. It has all the necessary cookware inside plus utensils, plates, etc.... if you don't mind washing dishes. Or you can bring paper plates.
Just in case, I do have 2 quads.
Also, undoubtedly, someone will have to do a little driving around the ranch as I will not be able to transport everyone.

More questions? keep asking

I can help out with the driving around the ranch also. I'm gonna bring some Tri-Tip(Santa Maria Style bbq Beef) for one night at least. I'm only a couple hours away so 11:00 in Hollister is ok by me.

Here is the official word from Fish & Game for anyone coming from out of state.

Licenses shall be issued to hunters only upon presentation of one of
the following: An annual California hunting license from a prior
year or evidence of having held such a license; a California hunter
education completion or equivalency certificate; a certificate of
competence or completion of a California approved hunter education
training course from any state or Canadian province; or a current year hunting license from any state province, European country or South Africa. For further information, contact any DFG office
or license agent.

The price for a non-resident hunting license is $104.50 and a pig tag will cost you $13.40
The unfortunate part of the license is that it will expire on June 30, 2002.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 05-14-2002 17:33: Message edited by: bigtusker ]</font>

I've got my license, but I need to get my pig tags. Also have to get next year's license so I can put in for the elk, sheep and antelope drawings. (like I'll get THAT lucky :rolleyes: )

I also checked with the local butchers for availability on shipping meat for anyone who wants to get it butchered here or is too far from home to transport it back. The best place I have found locally is the Corralitos Market & Sausage company. They are the only ones I found that will ship overnight. It's not cheap to ship. I did a little checkin online (don't quote me on prices) and it looks like shipping way back east(florida), would be around $150 for 50 lbs of meat. Thats a rough guesstimate. Check them out online.Corralitos Sausage Company

Big Tusker,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the two day non-res license is legal for hunting hogs?

T Bone

Big Tusker,

I've started packing for the June hunt. Its only 3 weeks away! Do I need to bring bug dope or poison oak/ivy dope?

Thanks,

T Bone

Ive gotta get back in touch with tbone but it looks like im gonna catch a ride with him.If he says hell be there at 11 then ill be there too.If this becomes a problem somehow ill get in there.

Chopper - maybe you could email me directions to the ranch, since it is south of Hollister, or I could meet you guys at a turn off or something. I'll have my cel phone, so I can keep you posted that way on that Friday.

I talked to Big Tusker (Chopper) last night, and he had 3 hunters get 3 hogs this past weekend. While most of the surrounding area is turning brown, his ranch is higher and gets some marine moisture off the ocean so it's staying greener. He is confident we'll see some hogs.

Also, we will probably meet him near the K-mart in Hollister so we can stock up on stuff or get any last minute licenses, etc. There is also a grocery store and liquor store nearby.

Does anyone want to eat elk for one dinner this weekend? Keith mentioned Santa Maria Tri-tip (good stuff, by the way)for the other night. If he can bring enough for everyone, how much would each of us owe you, Keith? I can pick up potato salad, beans, etc at Smart & Final.

Or does everyone just want to bring their own food, do a potluck or ????

Food is good. I'm not a light eater. My answer to Cal Hunter's question is yes! Dinners would be fun to do a potluck type deal since we will all be back from the hunt. I volunteer to bring chips & pop for the dinners.

For breakfasts and lunch, I vote for bringing our own since we may be scattered out chasing pigs.

I reckon we will have about 6 hours to hunt on Friday, 16 hours on Saturday, and a few on Sunday. Should be plenty of time to find a pig!

T Bone

I'll pick up charcoal and condiments so we can have elk burgers one night. That way, people can fix their own burger as they come back in from hunting. I'll also pick up some potato salad and stuff. Everyone can bring their own stuff for breakfast and lunch. If we don't hear from Keith, I'll email him about the tri-tip. Is everyone okay with kicking in a few bucks to pay Keith for the tri-tip? We can just heat it up on the barbecue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back