Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

California Bans Trapping

Trapping is a form of harvest yes....but this was a law passed by the Legislature
The A in MLPA stands for Act....as in passed by the Legislature.

Hound ban? Legislature
Lead ban? Legislature
See a theme yet?

We have our challenges no doubt, but the Commission unfairly takes the blame when it should be the Legislature. Not to mention, the Commission must act with this axe over their head. They know, full well that the Legislature wields said power.

The political climate in California considers antis as stakeholders of the resource.

All citizens of CA are stakeholders regardless of belief....same with every state, it's a core tenant of the NAMWC.

Trapping is a form of harvest yes....but this was a law passed by the Legislature
The A in MLPA stands for Act....as in passed by the Legislature.

Hound ban? Legislature
Lead ban? Legislature
See a theme yet?

We have our challenges no doubt, but the Commission unfairly takes the blame when it should be the Legislature. Not to mention, the Commission must act with this axe over their head. They know, full well that the Legislature wields said power.

All citizens of CA are stakeholders regardless of belief....same with every state, it's a core tenant of the NAMWC.
As citizens yes......as non-consumptive users yes....special interest groups that are against any form of harvest or extraction....NO! That is not what NAMWC is all about.

The Commission makes recommendations to the state legislature. Once the legislature enacts the laws (and they are not vetoed by the governor) the commission interprets and implements those laws. The commissioners are POLITICAL appointments. The commission is as much "to blame" as the legislature is. Otherwise the commissioners would come from senior CDFG managers and biologists regardless of their political affiliation.

There are 40,000,000 people in California and they only sold 133 trapping licenses in 2018. Wow...

Seems to me like the Californians hardly needed a law to make it stop...

And no, I am in no way against trapping....

There are 40,000,000 people in California and they only sold 133 trapping licenses in 2018. Wow...

Seems to me like the Californians hardly needed a law to make it stop...

And no, I am in no way against trapping....
Quite true! The CDFG commission over the years has widdled away at the methods of take, seasons and the bag limits. Add to that the reduction of public access until there was little trapping opportunity left. The same thing has been happening to hunting and sportfishing in California. Let this be a lesson for all of us!

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if California might be a better place if all the Californians who left had instead stayed and tried to fight back. This is an overly simplified example but it makes me wonder; 7 million Californians have fled to other states over the last 30 years. They often state that they had to get away from the liberal policies. In the 2016 presidential election Democrats had 8.7 million votes versus Republicans 4.4 million. That means that if 65% of those who left California were conservatives (and assuming they support hunting and gun rights) then there would be a 50/50 split between parties. Instead the migrants surrendered one of the largest and resource rich states and ran away.
there you have it . conservatives are cowards. they'd rather run or compromise then fight . say what one will of the left but they fight for their convictions.

How long until all hunting is banned in California??

My prediction is that through ballot initiatives riflle hunting of any kind will be banned in public lands in 20 years.

Bird hunting will take longer but I think we’ll live to see it.

Last edited:

My prediction is that through ballot initiatives riflle hunting of any kind will be banned in public lands in 20 years.

I'm pretty sure I won't. but I get yer drift.

there you have it . conservatives are cowards. they'd rather run or compromise then fight . say what one will of the left but they fight for their convictions.
It's been a fight for a long time, the problem is central California is a totally different world compared to the coast and the large cities north and south. It's mostly conservative here with farms and ranches, we elect conservative representatives who have good values, most of them have farmed their whole life, but just get shut out by all of the liberal representatives from the huge Democratic dense areas. There's so much stacked against us that a lot of people are just tired of losing constantly. The people who leave to other states and want to start raising taxes in their new states are not the conservatives who left, those are liberals who don't understand what caused the problems in California in the first place.

I read somewhere there's a Senate Bill to ban bobcat hunting. Once that gets passed it'll be coyotes next, then probably bears and the list will go on. They may never completely "ban" hunting all together but they will try their hardest to regulate and complicate it so that most people won't bother. This year was the first year I had to buy lead free ammo and it included a background check, and filling out a form with what I bought, including brand, gauge/caliber, how many rounds, what my ethnicity was, what my address was and so on plus a $1 fee for the process.

It's been a fight for a long time, the problem is central California is a totally different world compared to the coast and the large cities north and south. It's mostly conservative here with farms and ranches, we elect conservative representatives who have good values, most of them have farmed their whole life, but just get shut out by all of the liberal representatives from the huge Democratic dense areas. There's so much stacked against us that a lot of people are just tired of losing constantly. The people who leave to other states and want to start raising taxes in their new states are not the conservatives who left, those are liberals who don't understand what caused the problems in California in the first place.

I read somewhere there's a Senate Bill to ban bobcat hunting. Once that gets passed it'll be coyotes next, then probably bears and the list will go on. They may never completely "ban" hunting all together but they will try their hardest to regulate and complicate it so that most people won't bother. This year was the first year I had to buy lead free ammo and it included a background check, and filling out a form with what I bought, including brand, gauge/caliber, how many rounds, what my ethnicity was, what my address was and so on plus a $1 fee for the process.
I do understand all of that but the plain, simple truth is ,it does not change the fact that liberalism runs rampant because conservatives won't stand against it. the wackadoadles are not the majority of our society , yet we let them dictate most every aspect of it.

why??? fear of confrontation or being branded what you are not , laziness , outright cowardness, lack of conviction in ones own beliefs?? I believe it is combination of all above.

ignoring and compromising with bad is what gave us the situation California is now in. I've no doubt the rest of this nation will follow suit also. I am just stating the why and how it came to be and the how it could be put right. ignoring and compromising and being PC will accomplish nothing. only good people, standing firm in the face of evil , with the fortitude to call evil what it is , will have any hope swing the pendulum back.

first step to solving any problem is acknowledging there is one.
second step is admitting what that problem is. it's not the liberals ideals . it 's the conservatives lack of willingness to fight for theirs.

Last edited:
I do understand all of that but the plain, simple truth is ,it does not change the fact that liberalism runs rampant because conservatives won't stand against it. the wackadoadles are not the majority of our society , yet we let them dictate most every aspect of it.

why??? fear of confrontation or being branded what you are not , laziness , outright cowardness, lack of conviction in ones own beliefs?? I believe it is combination of all above.

ignoring and compromising with bad is what gave us the situation California is now in. I've no doubt the rest of this nation will follow suit also. I am just stating the why and how it came to be and the how it could be put right. ignoring and compromising and being PC will accomplish nothing. only good people, standing firm in the face of evil , with the fortitude to call evil what it is , will have any hope swing the pendulum back.

first step to solving any problem is acknowledging there is one.
second step is admitting what that problem is. it's not the liberals ideals . it 's the conservatives lack of willingness to fight for theirs.
Nationwide the country is majority conservative, and here in California there are a lot of conservatives but we are also seriously outnumbered. So we vote conservative and fight against ridiculous laws and regulations but it falls on deaf ears because the crazies in the highly populated areas keep voting in people like Gavin Newsom and Jerry Brown. Then they force new laws on us that we had no choice or chance to vote on.

I'm all for fighting for our morals and our rights, but there comes a time when you see the writing on the wall and say am I going to stay and fight a never ending battle my whole life, or move somewhere that I can just enjoy life and raise a family without constantly having to defend my ideals and lifestyle? I understand if everyone looked at it that way the whole country could go in the wrong direction but people out here are just worn out from fighting a battle that's impossible to win.

Makes me wonder if California might be a better place if all the Californians who left had instead stayed and tried to fight back. This is an overly simplified example but it makes me wonder; 7 million Californians have fled to other states over the last 30 years. They often state that they had to get away from the liberal policies. In the 2016 presidential election Democrats had 8.7 million votes versus Republicans 4.4 million. That means that if 65% of those who left California were conservatives (and assuming they support hunting and gun rights) then there would be a 50/50 split between parties. Instead the migrants surrendered one of the largest and resource rich states and ran away.
If you were drowning would you climb on what appears to be a stable platform floating nearby? Seeing the “end trapping” billboards outside Helena and Cody the past couple of years...

Nationwide the country is majority conservative, and here in California there are a lot of conservatives but we are also seriously outnumbered. So we vote conservative and fight against ridiculous laws and regulations but it falls on deaf ears because the crazies in the highly populated areas keep voting in people like Gavin Newsom and Jerry Brown. Then they force new laws on us that we had no choice or chance to vote on.

I'm all for fighting for our morals and our rights, but there comes a time when you see the writing on the wall and say am I going to stay and fight a never ending battle my whole life, or move somewhere that I can just enjoy life and raise a family without constantly having to defend my ideals and lifestyle? I understand if everyone looked at it that way the whole country could go in the wrong direction but people out here are just worn out from fighting a battle that's impossible to win.
Welcome to Illinois. :rolleyes:

I sure hope California isn’t a window into our future, but I’m afraid it might be.
It certainly is. Unfortunately the nut jobs are more passionate about political activism and changing our outdoors culture than we are at times. I’m guilty of this myself.

blieve me ,I do get the defeatest attitude . there are days I share it .
BUT the fight against evil never ends , no matter where you live . no matter where you run ,it will track you down and gut you like a fish, unless you fight back. only those who stand will have hope to win.

It certainly is. Unfortunately the nut jobs are more passionate about political activism and changing our outdoors culture than we are at times. I’m guilty of this myself.
you are not alone ,we all are . that is my point.
I am not calling folks to arms . nor am I saying everyone should run for office . but I am saying when one sees evil , they should speak out against it , no matter how unpopular doing so may be.

compromise on that which you can but when you know in your soul something is not right , even when all around you tell you it is, plant yourself like a tree and DO NOT BUDGE.

the left knows this . they compromise nothing. it's why they win.

Last edited:
It’s not just CA. and trapping. It’s a Nation with activists that want to stop everything most conservatives stand for. Trapping, hunting, they call coyotes song dogs, and fishing. They call the fish in the ocean sea kittens. Working on sensitizing the sheeple who outnumber us to jump on their bandwagon to stop any form of killing any animal for sport, food or predator control. They are also shrinking our access to our public lands. Here in Lassen National Forest like others, they are limiting access to snowmobiling, claiming it’s horrible for the environment. Lots of us conservatives wrote letters to the Forest Service with our choice for a plan that worked with snowmobilers. At first they said they were going to go with our plan. Then they did an about face after the enviro whackos threatened to sue and they adopted the plan that was the most restrictive. We tried but failed like always here because they have the almost unlimited funds and sources to get what they want. It’s pathetic.

I figure trapping and hunting will be over within my sons (he’s 26) lifetime at the rate we’re going as a nation. Once the WW2 generation started to die off, we’ve been spiraling downward ever since.

Those of us that just want to be left alone and pursue life, liberty & happiness are getting to be outnumbered by those that want to force their social agenda and push government control on our lives. That’s code for the two different political parties if there was any confusion with that

I figure trapping and hunting will be over within my sons (he’s 26) lifetime at the rate we’re going as a nation. Once the WW2 generation started to die off, we’ve been spiraling downward ever since.

Those of us that just want to be left alone and pursue life, liberty & happiness are getting to be outnumbered by those that want to force their social agenda and push government control on our lives. That’s code for the two different political parties if there was any confusion with that
this would change if only , good folks pushed back. our society as become so cowed and dumbed down that most lack conviction and courage to stand for what is right and oppose what is wrong.

The Commission makes recommendations to the state legislature. Once the legislature enacts the laws (and they are not vetoed by the governor) the commission interprets and implements those laws. The commissioners are POLITICAL appointments. The commission is as much "to blame" as the legislature is. Otherwise the commissioners would come from senior CDFG managers and biologists regardless of their political affiliation.

Can you share a link to the recommendations that they have made? Surely they probably testified on behalf of a bill right?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back