Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Caliber suggestions.

Helpful replies and thank you all.
And no I don’t reload ( too old and late in the game to start now ).
in the past I always bought a box sometimes two when on sale just before season. Used two or three rounds to check scope zero and grouping. Then maybe a half a box sometimes one whole box for hunting. This included crows and groundhogs or coyotes. When I sold the rifle ( sold for what I paid for it to my long time hunting friend for his grandson ) and gave him the ammunition, close to 26 boxes of various weights. Rem, Win & Fed. Even had one box of Accelerators. 55 grain I think. They didn’t group worth a crap. I kept the scope to use on the new rifle. The 06 shot good, just too heavy these days. Same goes for the 12 gauge. When small game was over I gave it to my nephews son.
When you get old, lighter is better. I did keep my grandpa’s brothers Remington model 11. Blueing all worn off but I like the ol gun.
I did find a 700 Mountain in 260, and a model 70 in 7-08. I didn’t weigh the Win. but it felt pretty heavy. It wasn’t the Featherweight model.
In my earlier posts I mention inherent accuracy of certain calibers.
I used to have a 222 that was very accurate with any ammunition I fed it.
But I was asked what it’d take to buy it and I shot out a high price and he said “ I’ll take it “. I really wished I had that to do over.
I know most any rifle can be tweaked with hand loads for good accuracy, but I’ll only be shooting factory.
Sorry for the long winded post. You all are great and thanks to everyone.
OM50

Since you don't load your own, I'd lean heavily towards the 243 Win and/or 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of factory offererings, improving your chances of finding your something the rifle likes. For deer to 300yds either would work great and could be found in a lighter rifle than the one you are looking to replace. I've become a big fan of the Tikka rifles.

PS- Didn't realize I've already posted, pretty much the same thing on this thread previously...

Without knowing what type of games you want to hunt, you can get a 6.5 PRC light weight like Savage ultralight 110 is great, ammo is the only draw back now and good luck for you search and be safe.

Since you don't load your own, I'd lean heavily towards the 243 Win and/or 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots of factory offererings, improving your chances of finding your something the rifle likes. For deer to 300yds either would work great and could be found in a lighter rifle than the one you are looking to replace. I've become a big fan of the Tikka rifles.

PS- Didn't realize I've already posted, pretty much the same thing on this thread previously...
Not reloading I think I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor too. Reason being I suspect they have a better selection of factory ammo being more popular than the 260. As I reload, neither would make a lot of difference to me as bullet's for one will work in the other.

Getting too old to carry the heavy ‘06.
This past season was my last with it. Already have it sold. Looking for something short action. 308 max either 257 or 260 minimum. 7-08 in the mix too I suppose. Deer will be biggest, coyotes likely more often.
Are any of the choices inherently more accurate than the other?
I’ve also noticed the 257 was available in short as well as long action. Any drawback to short action?
I handled a 700 Mountain ( late 90’s manufacture ) and really liked the slimness and lighter weight.
Would I be any better off picking up an older 700 SA and having it barreled ?
So, between 257 and 308 accuracy wise. What say you?
forgot to add , furthest range will be 300 yds max. With most being 200.
Thanks in advance.
oldman50
I know what you mean. My hunting rifles averages in the 10-12 pound range. The versatility of the venerable .30-06, especially if you reload in a lighter version, is hard to beat. Below is a Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 that weighs under 6 pounds. You get other rifles that are under 5 pounds but might cost twice as much. I had this one re-chambered to .30 Gibbs because I already have a .30-06 and currently propelling the 190 Berger VLD at 2806 FPS well under 1 MOA ... but still playing around with it. This is the lightest I have thus far, and my intention is for under the 600Y range.

.30 Gibbs scoped 1 of .jpg
.30 GIBBS weight.jpg
USO TS-12 2 of 2.jpg

You can save more weight if you go with a 1" scope. Is there a ready-to-hunt rifle goal you have in mind? Good luck.

I have a 243, a 257 Roberts, a 25-06, and a 308. If I could only keep only one of these for hunting medium sized game, or even elk in a pinch, it would be the 257 Roberts.
Factory ammo for this fine cartridge is not as common as the others, but it is simply a wonderful performer. The 243 works better as a varmint cartridge, the 25-06 has a bit more range, and the 308 is a better elk cartridge, but the 257 Roberts does it all with little recoil.

Thanks again to all that have contributed. My goal from the git go was a lighter rifle that was something between 250 and 30 caliber , preferably short action. Deer likely the largest and coyotes and other varmints, including crows on the smaller end. Big factor is carry weight. And built in accuracy. I don’t reload, but I have friends that do. I’ve handled several rifles and the Winchester Classic Featherweight and the Remington 700 Mountain both feel good in the hands. I handled and even shot a Ruger Compact 7-08, but I think the shortness of the barrel made it hard for me to balance for off hand shooting. Same goes for the Rem. Model 7. Carry great, just too short ( for me ). The 700 Mountain has a very thin barrel and slim in the wrist of the stock. I know where there’s one for sale in 260 that I’m considering. I know they made them in 257 and 7-08 as well. I did keep my scope from the 06 ( the only “ good “ scope I’ve ever owned ) the glass is still very clear and it’s always held zero. And at 3.5 X 10 it’s a very good all around er.
I don’t really regret letting the 06 go. It was a good rifle and I got a lot of use out of it since 1968. It’s just time to scale back the weight. Age will do that. Not sure how many more seasons I have left, but I think it does a body good to get out and go.

Getting too old to carry the heavy ‘06.
This past season was my last with it. Already have it sold. Looking for something short action. 308 max either 257 or 260 minimum. 7-08 in the mix too I suppose. Deer will be biggest, coyotes likely more often.
Are any of the choices inherently more accurate than the other?
I’ve also noticed the 257 was available in short as well as long action. Any drawback to short action?
I handled a 700 Mountain ( late 90’s manufacture ) and really liked the slimness and lighter weight.
Would I be any better off picking up an older 700 SA and having it barreled ?
So, between 257 and 308 accuracy wise. What say you?
forgot to add , furthest range will be 300 yds max. With most being 200.
Thanks in advance.
oldman50

Definitely no expert, but if you're going to go with the .257, I'd go with a long action. If you plan to reload, the long action and longer magazine will give you more options for bullet seating depth. Besides that, I think the parent case for the .257 was the 7mm Mauser (or .275 Rigby as our British friends like to call it), so it only seems right to get it in a long action, but that's just history buff in me.

The good thing with .308 is that (when ammo is widely available) you can find it everywhere, and you can get it in probably whatever bullet weight you were shooting out of your '06. Between 7-08 and .260 I'd lean more toward the 7-08 since you don't roll your own. 7-08 seems to be easier to come by in factory loads (at least in my parts). I'd also consider the 6.5 CM. Baillistically identical to the .260, but if you're going to buy factory ammo, the CM is going to be much easier to find with more factory offerings than the .260, and probably the 7-08 for that matter. Once this Covid nonsense is completely over and ammo is widely available again (hopefully), you'll probably be able to find whatever you want on line, so my point may be moot.

All said, of all the calibers you have listed I like the Roberts, but since you don't reload, pickens will be slim.

If you want to go short action and won't consider anything outside of your other selections, I'd say go with the 7-08. The .308 is fine, but since you had an '06 and the .308 is essentially an '06 "lite," go for something different.

Last edited:
A good friend of 40 plus years and a die hard 30-06 user told me the 7-08 Remington was the best caliber he ever used. I couldn’t believe what I heard come out of his mouth because he was always talking 06 ! All the for-mentioned cartridges are good suggestions however for your experience and use of the 3006 over the years I also think the 7-08 is the way to go . Good factory loadings available and plenty of killing power for your intended ranges described . To borrow a line from a fellow forum user “the 7-08 is a 270 in short pants “

Being as you are not a reloader severly limits you as far as cartridge selection, and type of bullet.
Also not every ammo manufacturer loads for every cartridge.
Plus, if your barrel doesn't like a particular load, then you've spent that money on another 17 rounds that won't shoot well, and have to try to find different ammo.

For factory only ammo, ( and i can't believe i'm going to say this!) i'd probably pick the 6.5 Creedmoor. :sick:

The 25 Creedmoor would be my second choice depending on some research as to what bullet the ammo manufacturers are putting out.

I have/shoot 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts AI.
But you probably won't find factory ammo for the 250 Savage with 115gr Berger VLD.

For my Roberts, i use 7X57 Mauser cases (i shoot 7X57 Mauser also), and just run through a 257 Roberts full length die.

I have had a 7mm-08, one of my favorite cartridges, but your not likely to find it with the bullets that i've handloaded in it either.

I suggest you check out a Barrett Fieldcraft in your choice of short action cartridges. Also a Sako Carbonlight. If hunting coyote and smaller the majority of time I would pick a 223 or 22-250. Pick up some heavier 62-75gr Federal Fusions, Swift's, or other softpoints for deer.

Just had a eurika moment!!!

Look around & see if you can find a used Forbes.
I had one (sold it last summer :cry:).
Picked it up for $995.
Model 24B in 280 Rem. Rifle with rings was 5.5lb. With Sightron 4-12X40, nylon sling was right under 7lb.
Excellent shooter.
But if you can find one, grab it!
Melvin Forbes also made them in 257 Roberts & 284 Win.

A new rifle built by him starts at $3.600.

You said a friend reloads & has offered his services. Take him up on it!
I reload for several people. But i have them as an active part of the process.
Going over what they are looking for in a particular load, bullet selection, and being there with them at the range doing development work.

Couldn’t make up my mind. I’ve picked up both .257WBY and 7-08 in the last couple seasons.

The 7-08 is a Ruger compact geared more towards a kid, but it is as handy as it could be. If I weren’t of Shrek proportions he might never handle it, as it is I’ll carry it around a bit till he grows a bit more.

The Wby, well it’s too big 😉 and grandpa will have to use it for a couple decades! If you plan on much range entertaining may I suggest a 25/06, your credit card will thank you.

The 7-08 sounds like a fine cartridge. The Ruger Compact is not. It would certainly be easy to carry, but similar to the Remington Model 7, being too short ( mainly the barrel ) or at least the one I handled was. Not sure if they’re offered in anything longer than 20” or not.
The Remington Mountain in 260 is still available ( although ammunition isn’t yet ). Looking like I’ll sit out this season anyway unless ammunition makes a comeback soon ( which I doubt )

The 7-08 sounds like a fine cartridge. The Ruger Compact is not. It would certainly be easy to carry, but similar to the Remington Model 7, being too short ( mainly the barrel ) or at least the one I handled was. Not sure if they’re offered in anything longer than 20” or not.
The Remington Mountain in 260 is still available ( although ammunition isn’t yet ). Looking like I’ll sit out this season anyway unless ammunition makes a comeback soon ( which I doubt )
@Don Fischer got one right. 6.5CM is going to be difficult to beat given your criteria.

If you’re hesitant, just know that it’s essentially a 260Rem that fits in a S/A a little better, has slightly better SAAMI chamber specs(lead angle and throat diameter) and has much better factory ammo support. If a 260Rem will do, then a 6.5CM will also do. If a 7-08Rem with a 140gr will do, then a 6.5CM will also do. I would only bump up to the 7-08 if you were willing to shoot 168gr bullets, which will recoil more than 140gr-156gr bullets from the 260Rem or 6.5CM.

Last edited:
The 260 sounds promising, as does the 257
Stop punishing yourself, you want a 257? Get one!
Mark V Ultra lightweight 257 weatherby.
Lightweight, kills everything, comes with brake, has no recoil.
What else could you ask for?

Back